Semiconductor Laser: Understanding the Power

• Thread starter Beer-monster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser
In summary, the efficiency of a semiconductor laser is given by the expression P = A(J-J_{th}) \frac{n_ih\nu}{e}
Beer-monster
I seem to be missing some information in my notes or something because this question seems to have come straight out of the blue.

The optical power generated by a semi-conductor laser is given by the epression

[tex] P = A(J - J_{th}) \frac{n_ih\nu}{e} [/tex]

where A is the junction area, J is the current density and Jth is the threshold current density for lasing. Given that ni for GaAs is 0.8 and the refractive index for GaAs is 3.6, and the cavity mirrors are formed by a GaAs/air boundary. Estimate the efficiency of the laser.

Anyone know how I could get started with this, or know of a good source of info on semiconductor lasers and other optics that might help?:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can reason this out by looking at the units. [itex](J-J_{th})[/itex] seems to be the net current density. Multiply that by [itex]A[/itex] and you have the net current (assuming that [itex]J-J_{th}[/itex] is parallel to [itex]A[/itex]). That gives you the number of Coulombs per second. Divide by [itex]e[/itex] and you have the number of electrons per second. [itex]h\nu[/itex] is the number of Joules per photon, and [itex]n_i[/itex] is the number of photons per electron. Multiply all that together and you get Joules per second, or Watts, which is a measure of power.

Sometimes google (and the Internet it serves) amaze me. I googled the following:

gaas semiconductor laser efficiency

and one of the first few interesting hits was this:

http://britneyspears.ac/physics/vcsels/vcsels.htm "Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Lasers (VCSELs)"

and at the same site, "The Britney's Guide to Semiconductor Physics" http://britneyspears.ac/lasers.htm

Now that's one site I just bookmarked. I'll have to go back sometime and figure out what the heck Britney's doing there, but whatever... :rolleyes:

1. What is a semiconductor laser?

A semiconductor laser is a type of laser that uses a semiconductor material, typically a compound of elements from groups III and V of the periodic table, to produce coherent light. It is also known as a diode laser because it is based on the principle of a p-n junction diode.

2. How does a semiconductor laser work?

A semiconductor laser converts electrical energy into light energy through a process called stimulated emission. This process involves the use of a p-n junction, where electrons and holes recombine and release energy in the form of photons. These photons then bounce back and forth between two mirrors inside the laser cavity, amplifying and aligning into a coherent beam of light.

3. What are the advantages of using a semiconductor laser?

There are several advantages of using a semiconductor laser, including small size, low cost, high efficiency, and high output power. Semiconductor lasers are also tunable, meaning their wavelength can be adjusted, and they can be easily integrated into electronic circuits, making them useful in a wide range of applications such as telecommunications, barcode scanners, and laser printers.

4. What are some common types of semiconductor lasers?

Some common types of semiconductor lasers include edge-emitting lasers, vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers (VCSELs), and quantum cascade lasers. Edge-emitting lasers are the most common type and are used in applications such as optical communication and laser pointers. VCSELs are used in optical computer mice and fiber-optic sensors, while quantum cascade lasers are used in spectroscopy and gas sensing.

5. What factors affect the power output of a semiconductor laser?

The power output of a semiconductor laser can be affected by several factors, including the current flowing through the p-n junction, the temperature of the laser, and the quality of the mirrors inside the laser cavity. The wavelength and type of semiconductor material used can also affect the power output. Additionally, the design and construction of the laser can play a role in determining its power output.