Semiconductor doped with acceptors

In summary, the concentration of holes in this semiconductor is equal to the concentration of acceptors, and the crossover between intrinsic and extrinsic behavior occurs when the concentration of free carriers is equal to the concentration of dopants. One can estimate the temperature of this crossover by using the equation np = NcNve^(-Eg/kT) and solving for T.
Kara386

Homework Statement

A semiconductor has an acceptor concentration of ##6.7 \times 10^{16}##cm##^{-3}##, with no donors. Its intrinsic carrier concentration is ##4.2\times 10^{17}## at 650K.

What's the concentration of free electrons at 290K? Estimate the temperature of the crossover between intrinsic and extrinsic behaviour.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part I've calculated ##N_c, N_v## so now I just need what the concentration of holes is, because
##np = N_c N_v e^{-\frac{E_g}{kT}}##

Where ##N_c = N_v = AT^{\frac{3}{2}}##, and I used that equation at ##T=650K## to calculate A, which is the same at all temperatures then. So then I can use it to calculate ##N_c,N_v## at 290K. I'm not sure it's true that they're equal actually but I assumed so because the intrinsic carrier concentration is the same for electrons and holes. Now I think about it, maybe those two aren't equal, but I guess that's essentially the same problem - I don't know what the concentration of holes is! Is it the intrinsic concentration plus the number of acceptors?

As to the second part, no idea about the method for that.

Thanks for any help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post! It seems like you have a good understanding of the equations and concepts involved in this problem. To answer your first question, the concentration of holes in this semiconductor would indeed be equal to the concentration of acceptors, since there are no donors present. So the total number of holes would be 6.7 x 10^16 cm^-3 at 290K.

For the second part, the crossover between intrinsic and extrinsic behavior occurs when the concentration of free carriers (electrons and holes) is equal to the concentration of dopants (acceptors and donors). So at this temperature, the concentration of free electrons would be equal to 6.7 x 10^16 cm^-3, and the concentration of free holes would be equal to 4.2 x 10^17 cm^-3 (since the intrinsic concentration of both electrons and holes is the same at this temperature). To estimate the temperature at which this crossover occurs, you can use the equation you mentioned, np = NcNve^(-Eg/kT), and solve for T. This would give you an estimate for the temperature of the crossover.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is a semiconductor doped with acceptors?

A semiconductor doped with acceptors is a type of semiconductor material that has been intentionally modified by adding atoms of a different element, known as acceptor atoms. These acceptor atoms have fewer valence electrons than the atoms in the original semiconductor material, resulting in a positively charged region within the semiconductor.

Why are semiconductors doped with acceptors?

Semiconductors are doped with acceptors to create p-type semiconductors, which have more positive charge carriers (holes) than negative charge carriers (electrons). This allows for easier flow of electricity and enables the semiconductor to perform specific functions such as amplification or switching in electronic devices.

How are semiconductors doped with acceptors?

Semiconductors are doped with acceptors by introducing atoms of the desired acceptor element into the semiconductor crystal lattice during the manufacturing process. This can be done through methods such as diffusion, ion implantation, or epitaxial growth.

What are some common acceptor atoms used in semiconductor doping?

Some common acceptor atoms used in semiconductor doping include boron, aluminum, and gallium. These elements have one less valence electron than the atoms in the original semiconductor material, making them suitable acceptors for creating p-type semiconductors.

What are the effects of doping a semiconductor with acceptors?

Doping a semiconductor with acceptors can have several effects, including increasing the number of positive charge carriers, decreasing the electrical resistance of the material, and shifting the energy band structure of the semiconductor. These effects are essential for the functioning of many electronic devices, including transistors and diodes.