1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Semiconductor Physics Books, Online Notes, Websites etc.

1. Dec 27, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I am looking for a good book or any other online resource on semiconductor physics. What I need the book to cover is:
    • The PN junction i.e. the diode
    • BJT transistors
    • MOSFETS
    In particullar I am interested in the derivation of the equations of the above components, the Shockley diode equation, for example, from QM first principles.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2014 #2
    Hello!

I actually just read a recommendation that sounds like what you're after: Electronic Materials by Nicolas Braithwaite and Graham Weaver.

According to the "Further Reading" suggestions in the back of Livingston's Electronic Properties of Engineering Materials (good, but not what you're looking for), the Braithwaite book takes the format of presenting and engineering application, then going after the materials science behind it. Says it covers circuits, magnets, transducers, memories and displays.

I also found this in the Amazon description: "Contains numerous exercises and objective-linked self assessment questions with fully worked answers."

Damn. That actually sounds pretty good. I might by that one myself. Oh, and here is a bookfinder link!

4. Jan 9, 2014 #3
    Actually, I found what I was looking for: Semiconductor Physics and Devices by Donald A. Neamen. Your suggestion also seams interesting but it appears to focus on material properties rather than semiconductor devices. I was looking primary in semiconductor device physics and the book by Neamen covers all the usual devices: pn junction, diodes(various types), BJTs, JFETs, MOSFETs and even some optical devices, like PV cells and LEDs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted