1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Semiconductor Physics

1. Mar 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A certain doped semiconductor at room temperature has the following properties: no = 9 x 1014 / cm3, po = 4 x 1014 / cm3, μe = 800 cm2 / V-s, μh = 400 cm2 / V-s, and (Dh[itex]\tau[/itex]h)1/2 = 10-4 cm.

If an electric field is applied, what fraction of the resulting drift current flow will be due to electrons?

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea what to do, but the answer is 0.82 (according to the book).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2013 #2
    Could you perhaps state what you think all the letters mean?

I would guess that:
    No is charge carrier density of n type
    p is charge carrier density of p type
    no idea what μ e and h are ... or what Dh and Tau h are,

In my experience (if this came from a lecturer) he will have given you a formula. Perhaps even with all these terms present.. and the answer may just fall out....

I found this related PDF
    http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~alan/ECE3080/Lectures/ECE3080-L-7-Drift - Diffusion Chap 3 Pierret.pdf

It contains equations for calculating hole and drift currents (if you have the right parameters available).

Maybe if you worked out the hole current , worked out the drift current ... and divided one by the other to get the ratio?

Sorry its not a complete answer but it may get you going in the right direction :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted