Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Semivariogram application to a matrix

1. Aug 13, 2012 #1
    My name is Andrew Bentley, a Geology student of Temple University. I am currently working on a thesis that uses a geostatistical technique that uses semivariograms on ground-penetrating radar (GPR) data.

I would have posted this in the Earth Science section but all my issues are in the Mathematical and Statistical side of things. I am having an issue (more like a lack of knowledge) on how to apply a formula to a matrix of information.

My matrix contains columns of trace data (the number of 'soundings' of GPR data as it moves across the ground) and rows of amplitude with depth corresponding to particular soundings. My hope is to use semivariograms of my GPR data to differentiate dune types via their internal architecture. To do this I will look at the plotted semivariogram data and use the size of the "range" to determine a threshold.

So my question is, how do I run a formula through a matrix of data? I am using MatLab for all my calculations. If anyone has readings I can find online on such a subject, that would be very useful as well.

I very much appreciate your help.

Andrew Bentley

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2012 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I don't understand what "size of the range" means. Can you give an example? - perhaps show a 3 by 3 matrix and explain what the size of the range is iin that case.

Are we facing a image recognition problem? Do you essentially have pictures (described by a matrices of data) and you want to classify each of them as being a particular type of dune?

Or are you processing each matirx of data to obtain a smaller set of numbers and trying to use those numbers to classify the dunes?

4. Aug 14, 2012 #3
    Size of the range refers to an attribute of the blotted semivariogram data. I have just actually figured out my issue. I wrote s script that allows the semivariogram to work on a line by line basis of the matrix at hand.

I will be looking into image recognition next.

Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook