Is it Safe to Send Cash in a Letter for a Birthday Gift?

• Thread starter stoned
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the safety of sending money through the mail, specifically from Toronto to Chicago. The participants suggest various methods such as using Western Union, hiding the money in a greeting card, or photocopying the bill. They also mention the possibility of the letter getting lost or stolen in the mail, and suggest using other methods like money orders or checks. They also mention the exchange rate between Canadian and US dollars. Finally, they mention the unreliability of Canada Post and suggest avoiding sending cash through the mail.
stoned
Trivial problem :blushing: but I need you help, I want to send letter to my nephew for his birthday with 50 $ inside from Toronto to Chicago, is it safe to do that ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would only use pennies.

If by safe you mean 100% absolutely safe, then obviously not. That said, my relatives used to send me cards with money in them all the time when I was a kid. The most important thing to me would be to make sure you can't see the money inside the envelope (by holding it up to a light) and making it look/feel like any other letter or card. There would always be a chance the letter would disappear in the system, but the odds of someone noticing the money and stealing it would be almost nil.

I put 50 $ in a card and I could still see it when holding up to a light.maybe aluminum foil could do the trick ?

It ain't guaranteed safe to send cash in a card. Have you considered using Western Union instead..or try using a greeting card with a hidden pocket on it or wrap up the cash in a sheet of paper then put it in a card with the hidden pocket on it. Worked for me..

or better yet...Photocopy the 50 dollar bill, print it then tell him you'll give him the real one when he visits you.

Send a check.

mattmns said:
Send a check.
Much better than cash, but money orders are even better because you can cash them in more places. Don't send cash at all. It's not just because of the possibility of theft; how bloody much do you trust Canada Post to not lose the thing? Also, unless you get something made out in US funds, you're only sending him about $35.

hitssquad said:
$41.0252 USD.
Hey, we're getting better! The last time I was in Vegas for pool, $650 US cost me $900. That was in 2000.

Dont use money order, it costs money :P

Use cash because most greeting cards these days have little pockets for money and the cards are all opaque enough to light that you can't see it. Another trick is to tape the money to the inside of the card :) Thats how my family use to do it.

Pengwuino said:
Use cash because most greeting cards these days have little pockets for money and the cards are all opaque enough to light that you can't see it.
What seems to be eluding you here is that we're dealing with Canada Post. Their record with mail is about the same as United Airlines' with luggage. :tongue:

1. Can I legally send cash in a letter?

It is not illegal to send cash in a letter, but it is not recommended. The United States Postal Service advises against sending cash through the mail because it is not insured and can be easily stolen.

2. What is the safest way to send cash through the mail?

The safest way to send cash through the mail is by using a money order or cashier's check. These forms of payment are insured and can be easily traced if they are lost or stolen.

3. How much cash can I send in a letter?

There is no limit on the amount of cash that can be sent in a letter, but again, it is not recommended. If you must send cash, it is best to keep the amount small to minimize the risk of loss or theft.

4. Do I need to declare the cash in the letter for customs purposes?

If you are sending cash to another country, you may need to declare it on the customs form. It is best to check with the postal service or customs office of the destination country to see if any additional forms or fees are required.

5. Is it safe to send cash through regular mail?

No, it is not safe to send cash through regular mail. As mentioned before, it is not insured and can easily be stolen. It is best to use a more secure form of payment, such as a money order or cashier's check, if you need to send money through the mail.