Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sending cash in a letter

1. Apr 6, 2005 #1
    Trivial problem :blushing: but I need you help, I want to send letter to my nephew for his birthday with 50 $ inside from Toronto to Chicago, is it safe to do that ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2005 #2
    I would only use pennies.

4. Apr 6, 2005 #3
    If by safe you mean 100% absolutely safe, then obviously not. That said, my relatives used to send me cards with money in them all the time when I was a kid. The most important thing to me would be to make sure you can't see the money inside the envelope (by holding it up to a light) and making it look/feel like any other letter or card. There would always be a chance the letter would disappear in the system, but the odds of someone noticing the money and stealing it would be almost nil.

5. Apr 6, 2005 #4
    I put 50 $ in a card and I could still see it when holding up to a light.maybe aluminum foil could do the trick ?

6. Apr 6, 2005 #5
    It ain't guaranteed safe to send cash in a card. Have you considered using Western Union instead..or try using a greeting card with a hidden pocket on it or wrap up the cash in a sheet of paper then put it in a card with the hidden pocket on it. Worked for me..

or better yet...Photocopy the 50 dollar bill, print it then tell him you'll give him the real one when he visits you.

7. Apr 6, 2005 #6
    Send a check.

8. Apr 6, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Much better than cash, but money orders are even better because you can cash them in more places. Don't send cash at all. It's not just because of the possibility of theft; how bloody much do you trust Canada Post to not lose the thing? Also, unless you get something made out in US funds, you're only sending him about $35.

9. Apr 6, 2005 #8
  10. Apr 6, 2005 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Hey, we're getting better! The last time I was in Vegas for pool, $650 US cost me $900. That was in 2000.

11. Apr 6, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Dont use money order, it costs money :P

Use cash because most greeting cards these days have little pockets for money and the cards are all opaque enough to light that you cant see it. Another trick is to tape the money to the inside of the card :) Thats how my family use to do it.

12. Apr 6, 2005 #11

Danger

Gold Member

What seems to be eluding you here is that we're dealing with Canada Post. Their record with mail is about the same as United Airlines' with luggage. :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?