1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separate variables schrodinger equation

1. Jun 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [2 Dimensional infinite square well]
    Show that you can separate variables such that the solution to the time independent schrodinger equation, ## \hat{H} \psi (x,y) = E \psi (x,y) ## can be written as a product state ## \psi (x,y) = \phi (x) \chi (y) ## where ## \phi (x)## is a function of only the x coordinate and ##\chi(y)## is a function of only the y coordinate.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\hat{H} = -\dfrac{\hbar^2}{2m} \left( \dfrac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + \dfrac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2} \right) + V(x,y)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So... putting in ## \psi (x,y) = \phi (x) \chi (y) ## I'll get:

[tex]\hat{H} \phi (x) \chi (y) = -\dfrac{\hbar^2}{2m} \left( \dfrac{\partial^2 \phi (x)}{\partial x^2} \chi (y) + \dfrac{\partial^2 \chi (y)}{\partial y^2} \phi (x) \right) + V(x,y) \phi (x) \chi (y) [/tex]

And then dividing both sides by ## \phi (x) \chi (y) ## I'll get:

[tex]\hat{H} = -\dfrac{\hbar^2}{2m} \left( \dfrac{1}{\phi (x)} \dfrac{\partial^2 \phi (x)}{\partial x^2} + \dfrac{1}{\chi (y)} \dfrac{\partial^2 \chi (y)}{\partial y^2} \right) + V(x,y)[/tex]

And then... I don't really know where to go from here. I don't get what I'm supposed to do next.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2013 #2
    What is the explicit form of V(x, y)? Can it be written as a sum X(x) + Y(y)?

4. Jun 1, 2013 #3
    For a 2D potential in the infinite square well:

$$
    V(x,y) =
    \begin{cases}
    0, & \text{if } 0 \le x \le a & \text{and} & 0 \le y \le b \\
    \infty, & \text{otherwise}
    \end{cases}
    $$

Does that mean V(x,y) can be neglected?

I just don't get what it's asking me to do.

5. Jun 2, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

V=0 in the potential well, if 0≤x≤a and 0≤y≤b, and infinite outside. Solve the equation inside the well with V=0, and outside where V is infinite. Is it possible that the wavefunction of a particle with finite energy differs from zero when the potential is infinite?

ehild

6. Jun 2, 2013 #5
    Of course not. Think about $$
    V_c(z) =
    \begin{cases}
    0, & \text{if } 0 \le z \le c\\
    \infty, & \text{otherwise}
    \end{cases}
    $$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted