Separate variables schrodinger equation

In summary, the problem asks to show that the time independent Schrodinger equation can be solved by separating variables and writing the solution as a product state. The potential in the problem is a 2D infinite square well, meaning that it is zero within the boundaries and infinite outside. However, the potential cannot be neglected as it affects the wavefunction inside and outside the well.
Cogswell

Homework Statement

[2 Dimensional infinite square well]
Show that you can separate variables such that the solution to the time independent schrodinger equation, ## \hat{H} \psi (x,y) = E \psi (x,y) ## can be written as a product state ## \psi (x,y) = \phi (x) \chi (y) ## where ## \phi (x)## is a function of only the x coordinate and ##\chi(y)## is a function of only the y coordinate.

Homework Equations

[tex]\hat{H} = -\dfrac{\hbar^2}{2m} \left( \dfrac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + \dfrac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2} \right) + V(x,y)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So... putting in ## \psi (x,y) = \phi (x) \chi (y) ## I'll get:

[tex]\hat{H} \phi (x) \chi (y) = -\dfrac{\hbar^2}{2m} \left( \dfrac{\partial^2 \phi (x)}{\partial x^2} \chi (y) + \dfrac{\partial^2 \chi (y)}{\partial y^2} \phi (x) \right) + V(x,y) \phi (x) \chi (y) [/tex]

And then dividing both sides by ## \phi (x) \chi (y) ## I'll get:

[tex]\hat{H} = -\dfrac{\hbar^2}{2m} \left( \dfrac{1}{\phi (x)} \dfrac{\partial^2 \phi (x)}{\partial x^2} + \dfrac{1}{\chi (y)} \dfrac{\partial^2 \chi (y)}{\partial y^2} \right) + V(x,y)[/tex]

And then... I don't really know where to go from here. I don't get what I'm supposed to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the explicit form of V(x, y)? Can it be written as a sum X(x) + Y(y)?

For a 2D potential in the infinite square well:

$$
V(x,y) =
\begin{cases}
0, & \text{if } 0 \le x \le a & \text{and} & 0 \le y \le b \\
\infty, & \text{otherwise}
\end{cases}
$$

Does that mean V(x,y) can be neglected?

I just don't get what it's asking me to do.

Cogswell said:

$$
V(x,y) =
\begin{cases}
\end{cases}
$$

I just don't get what it's asking me to do.

V=0 in the potential well, if 0≤x≤a and 0≤y≤b, and infinite outside. Solve the equation inside the well with V=0, and outside where V is infinite. Is it possible that the wavefunction of a particle with finite energy differs from zero when the potential is infinite?

ehild

Cogswell said:

$$
V(x,y) =
\begin{cases}
\end{cases}
$$

Of course not. Think about $$
V_c(z) =
\begin{cases}
0, & \text{if } 0 \le z \le c\\
\end{cases}
$$

What is the Schrodinger equation and what does it describe?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons, in a given system. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular state.

What does it mean to "separate variables" in the Schrodinger equation?

Separating variables in the Schrodinger equation means to write the equation in a form where each variable only appears on one side of the equation. This allows us to solve the equation by finding the solutions to each variable separately.

Why is it important to be able to separate variables in the Schrodinger equation?

Separating variables in the Schrodinger equation allows us to solve for the wave function, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. The wave function describes the probability of finding a particle in a given state, and by solving the Schrodinger equation, we can determine the behavior of quantum particles in a system.

What are the steps involved in separating variables in the Schrodinger equation?

The steps involved in separating variables in the Schrodinger equation include identifying the variables, rearranging the equation to put each variable on one side, and then solving each variable separately. This may involve using mathematical techniques such as integration or separation of variables.

What are some real-world applications of the Schrodinger equation and separating variables?

The Schrodinger equation and separating variables are used in a variety of real-world applications, including quantum computing, predicting the behavior of particles in nanotechnology, and understanding the behavior of electrons in materials. They are also used in fields such as chemistry and biology to study the behavior of molecules and proteins.