Separation of water from air at high temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for separating water from air at high temperatures, particularly for reusing the water. One approach is to cool the air down first before using a desiccant or a material that reacts with and sequesters water. Another suggestion is to use a venturi scrubber, which can separate particles from gas. A nano material inspired by the water collecting abilities of beetles is also mentioned as a potential solution. However, it may not be readily available for the problem at hand.
parislad
How might one try to separate water from air at high temperature (say, 75degC) - if the gas if fully saturated?
I understand that you should try to cool it down first to do so, but other than putting it though a heat exchanger is there any other approach you can take?
Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
One could introduce a material that reacts with and sequesters water (i.e., a desiccant).

Hmm..thanks for the reply.
If I'm interested in separating that water and re-using it in a loop (where at the outlet it will once again be a fully saturated gas), how do you think I could here use a desiccant/deliquescent material for the purpose of that separation?

Hope I make sense.

Watching ABC1 TV Science Doco [Catalyst] just last week, I will try to sum up:-

By observing the incredible marvels of nature (o:)Praise God), have you noticed how beetles and other insects are always squeaky clean in a dusty, dirty and muddy environment?

Having a close look at the surface of these insects, scientist have learned the principles of how they collect water out of the air, - the water gathers into a bubble and runs off the body of the insect taking all impurities with it.

So now they have developed a nano material which does the same thing, and have seriously proposed this technology as a water collecter in dry deserts - for human use.

You will have to google this if you want to find out more.

parislad said:
How might one try to separate water from air at high temperature (say, 75degC) - if the gas if fully saturated?
I understand that you should try to cool it down first to do so, but other than putting it though a heat exchanger is there any other approach you can take?
Thanks

Why would the air be cooled first? Can't you just stick a cold spongy object in the hot, saturated air to suck the water out of it?

Fun Value said:
Why would the air be cooled first? Can't you just stick a cold spongy object in the hot, saturated air to suck the water out of it?

I'm just saying that by cooling down the hot saturated gas, more water will condense at a lower temperature.

Oh and thanks for the beetle example, although I'm not sure that kind of recent material technology will be available to me in my problem!

Can a venturi scrubber be used to separate water particles from a hot air stream? I don't really know how these devices work but I know they can separate particles from gas.

1. How is water separated from air at high temperature?

Water can be separated from air at high temperature through a process called "thermal separation". This involves heating the air and water mixture to its boiling point, causing the water to turn into steam. The steam is then collected and cooled, condensing it back into liquid water. The remaining air is left behind and can be released into the environment.

2. Why is it necessary to separate water from air at high temperature?

There are several reasons why separating water from air at high temperature may be necessary. One common reason is for industrial processes such as power generation or chemical production, where the presence of water can interfere with the efficiency of the process. Another reason is for water purification or desalination, where removing water from air can help provide a source of clean drinking water.

3. What are the main challenges in separating water from air at high temperature?

The main challenges in separating water from air at high temperature include the energy required to heat the air and water mixture to its boiling point, as well as the potential for corrosion or damage to equipment. Additionally, ensuring the purity of the separated water can be a challenge, as impurities from the air or equipment may contaminate the water.

4. Are there any alternative methods for separating water from air at high temperature?

Yes, there are alternative methods for separating water from air at high temperature. One method is through the use of a membrane, which selectively allows water molecules to pass through while trapping the air. Another method is through the use of chemical absorbents, which can selectively absorb water molecules from the air. However, these methods may not be as efficient or cost-effective as thermal separation.

5. What are the potential applications of separating water from air at high temperature?

The potential applications of separating water from air at high temperature are numerous. Some common applications include water purification and desalination, industrial processes, and energy production. In addition, this process can also be used for producing clean drinking water in remote or disaster-stricken areas where access to clean water is limited.