Finding the Condensed amount of water from a changing Temperature Airmass

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
gooseman
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I'm currently trying to find how much water can be condensed from an airmass of a certain dewpoint if it is sent to a lower temperature. The water will be condensed over a period of time. I have the dewpoint of the initial air and the temperature of the environment where the moist air is being sent to. The air is being blown in by a fan with an Air Flow of 190 CFM and Air Pressure of 17.78. What I mainly want to know is how much water should be produced with an initial x dewpoint with x temperature of the volume that the air is being sent into. (I'm a high school student so I may not know a lot of variables presented)
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a mechanical engineering/thermodynamics topic called "Psychromertrics". It is the study of the thermodynamic properties of air. Please read the wiki for an intro:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychrometrics

There are lots of copies of the Psychrometric Chart online, but I like apps where you can plug-in the conditions and get the thermodynamic data. There are ones for cell phones, but Trane has a simple and easy to use one you can download here:
http://www.trane.com/commercial/nor...gn-and-analysis-tools/calculators-charts.html

There's a lot to the overall subject, but your specific question is fairly straightforward: the air before cooling contains a certain amount of water vapor and the air after cooling contains less. Subtract to find how much water vapor was condensed out. You need to know the temperature, relative humidity and mass or volumetric flow rate going in and you need to know the temperature going out and to recognize the air is saturated on the way out (100% RH). Give it a shot and let me know fi you get stuck.
[unless I'm misunderstanding and this is a mixing problem?]

...one place you'll likely stumble: a "grain" of humidity is 1/7,000th of a pound.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jrmichler
russ_watters said:
This is a mechanical engineering/thermodynamics topic called "Psychromertrics". It is the study of the thermodynamic properties of air. Please read the wiki for an intro:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychrometrics

There are lots of copies of the Psychrometric Chart online, but I like apps where you can plug-in the conditions and get the thermodynamic data. There are ones for cell phones, but Trane has a simple and easy to use one you can download here:
http://www.trane.com/commercial/nor...gn-and-analysis-tools/calculators-charts.html

There's a lot to the overall subject, but your specific question is fairly straightforward: the air before cooling contains a certain amount of water vapor and the air after cooling contains less. Subtract to find how much water vapor was condensed out. You need to know the temperature, relative humidity and mass or volumetric flow rate going in and you need to know the temperature going out and to recognize the air is saturated on the way out (100% RH). Give it a shot and let me know fi you get stuck.
[unless I'm misunderstanding and this is a mixing problem?]

...one place you'll likely stumble: a "grain" of humidity is 1/7,000th of a pound.

So I did use the chart to find out the amount of moisture that is fully being sent into the system, but not to find out how much of it is being condensed. I'm thinking along the lines of finding the heat transferred to the air to make it condense it then finding how much water is condensed over a period of time. This may be a bit complex.