Seperable + What Implies Second Countable?

• Thread starter lugita15
  • Start date
In summary, a topological space is second countable if it is seperable and has a ##\sigma##-locally finite basis. This condition is the weakest possible to ensure that seperability implies second countable, and it is equivalent to being first countable + ##\sigma##-locally finite basis. This is a surprising result and has been proven by asking a question on Usenet and verifying it using the database of topological counterexamples.
lugita15
A topological space is second countable if it has a countable basis. A space is seperable if it has a countable dense subset. Now being second countable implies being seperable, but the converse doesn't hold in general. My question is, what is the weakest condition you need to add to seperability in order to imply second countability? It's not enough for a space to be first countable, because ℝ with the lower limit topology is first countable and seperable but not second countable. On the other hand, a seperable metric space is always second countable. So is there a condition, stronger than being first countable but weaker than being metrizable, which is sufficient to ensure that being seperable implies being second countable? Wow, that was a tongue twister!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In compact Hausdorff spaces, it turns out that second countable is equivalent to metrizable. So in compact Hausdorff spaces, the answer to your question is that metrizable is the weakest possible condition. So this gives the intuition that you need a rather strong condition to ensure second countable.

In other spaces, I don't know the answer.

Is there perhaps some concrete problem that you're trying to solve?

Maybe you should also look at the Nagate-Smirnov metrization theorem. That says that seperable + regular + has a ##\sigma##-locally finite basis implies second countable (and actually metrizable). So the answer to this question will be a condition much in the spirit of ##\sigma##-locally finiteness.

micromass, it looks like you were right. It seems that the condition required for seperable to imply second countable is first countable + having a ##\sigma##-locally finite basis. (I haven't proven this, but the excellent database of topological counterexamples here seems to confirm it.) And this is the weakest possible condition, because it is implied by second countable.

OK, so you conjecture that separable + first countable + ##\sigma##-locally finite basis => second countable. Hmm, let me think about a proof.

micromass, did you have any success proving or disproving my conjecture?

lugita15 said:
micromass, did you have any success proving or disproving my conjecture?

No success here :frown: My gut feeling says it's false, but I can't seem to find a decent counterexample.

micromass, I finally got a proof of my conjecture, after asking my question on Usenet. But first of all, I should note that having a ##\sigma##-locally finite basis implies first countable. That's because any point x can only belong to finitely many elements of a locally finite collection, so it can only belong to countably many elements of a ##\sigma##-locally finite collection. The reason I thought otherwise was because Counterexamples in Topology apparently has errors in it; it lists two spurious examples of spaces that have a ##\sigma##-locally finite basis but are not first countable.

So the statement is just that separable + ##\sigma##-locally finite basis implies second countable.

First let me prove that if X is seperable, then any locally finite collection C of nonempty open sets must be countable. Let T be a countable dense subset of X. Then for each t in T, let C_t be the collection of all sets in C which contain t. Since C is locally finite, t can only belong to finitely many elements of C, so each C_t is finite. But T is dense, so every set in C must contain an element of T, so C is equal to the union of C_t for all t. Thus C is the union of countably many finite sets, so it is countable.

So any locally finite collection of nonempty open sets in a seperable space is countable, and thus any ##\sigma##-locally finite collection of nonempty open sets is countable. In particular any ##\sigma##-locally finite basis must be countable.

So to sum up, a space is second countable if and only if it is seperable and has ##\sigma##-locally finite basis, a result I find really surprising.

What is the definition of "Seperable" in mathematics?

Seperable is a property of topological spaces that means the space contains a countable dense subset. In simpler terms, there exists a subset of points in the space that are "close" to every other point in the space.

What does it mean for a space to be second countable?

A space is second countable if it has a countable basis, meaning there exists a collection of open sets that can be used to form any other open set in the space. This is important because it allows for easier analysis and understanding of the space's properties.

What is the relationship between "Seperable" and "Second Countable"?

A space that is seperable must also be second countable, but the reverse is not always true. This means that if a space has a countable dense subset, it must also have a countable basis, but a space can have a countable basis without a countable dense subset.

What are some examples of spaces that are both seperable and second countable?

Some common examples include the real line, Euclidean spaces, and finite-dimensional vector spaces. These spaces all have a countable dense subset and a countable basis.

Why are "Seperable" and "Second Countable" important in mathematics and science?

These properties are important because they allow for easier analysis and understanding of topological spaces. They also have practical applications in fields such as physics, where they can help describe the behavior of physical systems.