Topological space satisfying 2nd axiom of countability

In summary, the second part of the conversation showed that X is Lindelof, and the first part of the conversation showed that X is countable.
radou
Homework Helper
Here's another problem which I'd like to check with you guys.

So, let X be a topological space which satisfies the second axiom of countability, i.e. there exist some basis B such that its cardinal number is less or equal to [tex]\aleph_{0}[/tex]. One needs to show that such a space is Lindelöf and separable.

To show that it's separable, let B be a countable basis for X. From every element of the basis, take one element x, and we obtain a countable set S = {x1, x2, ...}. Now we only need to show that this set S is dense in X, and this is true if and only if its intersection with every open set in X is non-empty. So, let U be some open set in X. Clearly, U can be written as a union consisting of the basis sets, and its intersection with S is definitely non-empty.

To show that X is Lindelöf, let C be some open cover for X. The countable basis B is, by definition, an open cover, too. We only need to show that B is a refinement of C, which is obvious, because for every set U in C has a subset which belongs to B (since it can be written as a union of the basis sets).

I hope this works, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
First part looks good.

Second part: B may be a refinement of C, but what is the countable subcover of C? In other words, why is it sufficient to find a countable refinement of C? Maybe it's because it's late, but this isn't obvious to me.

Hm, it seems to be a matter of definitions. In the set of lecture notes I'm working with, a space is said to be Lindelöf if every of its open covers has a countable refinement. According to this definition, X is Lindelöf.

Then again, when speaking about compactness, in a similar manner, a topological space is defined to be compact if every of its open covers has a finite refinement. The first theorem after the definition, the one which is used frequently, states that a topological space is compact if and only if every of its open covers has a finite subcover. (Obviously, every subcover is a refinement, too.)

So, one can conclude that a space is Lindelöf if and only if every of its open cover has a countable subcover, right? But I didn't use this fact here, it seemed more straightforward to use the definition of a Lindelöf space.

Alright, my definition is that a space is Lindelof if every cover has a countable subcover. Your proof shows that every second-countable space satisfies your definition of Lindelof (which is presumably equivalent to mine), so it's good.

adriank said:
Alright, my definition is that a space is Lindelof if every cover has a countable subcover. Your proof shows that every second-countable space satisfies your definition of Lindelof (which is presumably equivalent to mine), so it's good.

Thanks!

1. What is a topological space?

A topological space is a mathematical concept that describes a set of points and the relationships between them. It is often used to study geometric properties of shapes and spaces.

2. What is the second axiom of countability?

The second axiom of countability, also known as the "countable basis axiom," states that a topological space must have a countable basis, which means that the space can be generated by a countable collection of open sets.

3. How is the second axiom of countability satisfied in a topological space?

In order for a topological space to satisfy the second axiom of countability, it must have a countable basis. This means that there exists a countable collection of open sets that can be used to generate any other open set in the space.

4. What is the importance of the second axiom of countability in topology?

The second axiom of countability is important in topology because it allows for a more manageable way of studying topological spaces. It ensures that the space has a well-defined structure and can be analyzed using countable methods.

5. Can a topological space satisfy the second axiom of countability without being a metric space?

Yes, a topological space can satisfy the second axiom of countability without being a metric space. While all metric spaces satisfy the second axiom of countability, there are topological spaces that do not have a metric defined on them but still have a countable basis.