1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SEPnet Internships: Yay or nay?

Tags:
  1. Mar 12, 2015 #1

H Smith 94

Gold Member

Hi!

I am currently a 2nd year physics undergraduate looking for a summer internship. Our employability mentor is really pushing this http://www.sepnet.ac.uk/students_employers/careers_placements/internships/info_students.html [Broken] and I'm interested but worried about how useful it will actually be.

I'm always a little wary of employability mentors as I know they have a lot of boxes to tick and don't always provide the most useful or fulfilling work advice. Essentially I don't want to waste my time when I could be doing something more worthwhile.

Is there anyone here who either works as part of the SEPnet network or who has taken an internship or placement via SEPnet, and what would your comments be about it?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Harry

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2015 #2
    Yes, apply for SEPnet! I'm 3rd year, and I applied to several of the placements last year, although sadly didn't get any offers. When studying physics, work experience is key to stand above your peers after graduation, and SEPnet is one of the more worthwhile schemes. For instance, employers are only accepted on to the scheme if they can demonstrate that the intern will be working on a meaningful project that actually makes a difference to the organisation, so no making tea or photocopying! The employers are also (mostly) STEM-oriented, so the experience will be relevant to your subject.

So my answer is an unequivocal 'yay' - SEPnet definitely provide worthwhile placements, and being provided with a list of opportunities is surely easier than trying to find placements yourself. Just look through the list to see if any interest you.

Finally, a curiosity: which university are you at?

4. Mar 14, 2015 #3

H Smith 94

Gold Member

Lovely! Thank you for your answer. I shall begin applying asap!

I am currently studying at the University of Kent at Canterbury. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook