SEPnet Internships: Yay or nay?

• Thread starter H Smith 94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internships
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of a student looking for a summer internship and the recommendation to apply for the SEPnet program. The student expressed concerns about the usefulness of the program and the possible lack of meaningful work experience, but the other participant shared positive experiences and highlighted the benefits of the SEPnet program. The conversation ended with the student expressing gratitude and sharing which university they attend.
H Smith 94
Gold Member
Hi!

I am currently a 2nd year physics undergraduate looking for a summer internship. Our employability mentor is really pushing this http://www.sepnet.ac.uk/students_employers/careers_placements/internships/info_students.html and I'm interested but worried about how useful it will actually be.

I'm always a little wary of employability mentors as I know they have a lot of boxes to tick and don't always provide the most useful or fulfilling work advice. Essentially I don't want to waste my time when I could be doing something more worthwhile.

Is there anyone here who either works as part of the SEPnet network or who has taken an internship or placement via SEPnet, and what would your comments be about it?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Harry

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, apply for SEPnet! I'm 3rd year, and I applied to several of the placements last year, although sadly didn't get any offers. When studying physics, work experience is key to stand above your peers after graduation, and SEPnet is one of the more worthwhile schemes. For instance, employers are only accepted on to the scheme if they can demonstrate that the intern will be working on a meaningful project that actually makes a difference to the organisation, so no making tea or photocopying! The employers are also (mostly) STEM-oriented, so the experience will be relevant to your subject.

So my answer is an unequivocal 'yay' - SEPnet definitely provide worthwhile placements, and being provided with a list of opportunities is surely easier than trying to find placements yourself. Just look through the list to see if any interest you.

Finally, a curiosity: which university are you at?

Lovely! Thank you for your answer. I shall begin applying asap!

sk1105 said:
Finally, a curiosity: which university are you at?
I am currently studying at the University of Kent at Canterbury. :smile:

What are SEPnet internships?

SEPnet internships are paid placements offered by the South East Physics Network (SEPnet) to undergraduate and postgraduate students studying physics or a related subject. These internships provide students with valuable work experience in the field of physics and help them develop their skills and knowledge.

How long do SEPnet internships last?

The duration of SEPnet internships can vary, but they typically last between 8 and 12 weeks. Some internships may be shorter or longer depending on the specific project and the needs of the host organisation.

Are SEPnet internships paid?

Yes, SEPnet internships are paid placements. The exact salary may vary depending on the host organisation and the duration of the internship, but the minimum salary is £300 per week for full-time placements (pro-rata for part-time placements). This is to ensure that students are able to cover their living expenses during the internship.

What are the benefits of doing a SEPnet internship?

There are many benefits to doing a SEPnet internship. It allows students to gain practical experience in their field of study, develop new skills, and make valuable connections in the industry. It also looks impressive on a CV and can increase employability after graduation. Additionally, students may receive a reference or a job offer from the host organisation after completing the internship.

How can I apply for a SEPnet internship?

The application process for SEPnet internships may vary depending on the host organisation, but it typically involves submitting a CV and a cover letter. Some internships may also require an interview. SEPnet advertises internship opportunities on their website and through university careers services, so it is important to keep an eye out for any openings.