What is the recursive formula for the sequence sn?

In summary, the OP is trying to solve a problem where he's been given an explicit formula and is asked to use induction to prove it is correct, but hasn't attempted a problem like the one in which he quoted. He's forgotten to simplify the expression and is trying to find a pattern in terms of s_1,s_2,s_3,s_4. Once he has found a pattern, he can determine s_n.
Shackleford
Oddly enough, I don't remember doing a problem like. I have had a problem where I've been given the explicit formula and then asked to use induction to prove that it's correct.

The sequence sn is defined by the recursion formula

[itex]s_{n+1} = \frac{n+1}{2n}s_n, s_1 = 1[/itex]

Determine a "formula" for (sn).

I think that I'm supposed to back-substitute sn into the recursion formula and go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear to me whether in your present problem you are given the explicit formula and asked to show it is correct, or whether it is the problem as quoted in your post. If the latter, what do you think you are back-substituting in?

haruspex said:
It's not clear to me whether in your present problem you are given the explicit formula and asked to show it is correct, or whether it is the problem as quoted in your post. If the latter, what do you think you are back-substituting in?

The OP is saying that he's solved problems where he's given an explicit formula and used induction to prove it is correct, but hasn't attempted a problem like the one in which he quoted.

At least, that's what I think :smile:

Shackleford said:
Oddly enough, I don't remember doing a problem like. I have had a problem where I've been given the explicit formula and then asked to use induction to prove that it's correct.
I think that I'm supposed to back-substitute sn into the recursion formula and go from there.

Start by figuring out what [itex]s_1,s_2,s_3,s_4[/itex] are, but don't substitute the value of [itex]s_{n-1}[/itex] in when figuring out [itex]s_n[/itex] and don't simplify the expression at all. Then start with [itex]s_4[/itex] and begin by substituting [itex]s_3[/itex] in, then [itex]s_2[/itex] etc. Do you notice a pattern?

Mentallic said:
The OP is saying that he's solved problems where he's given an explicit formula and used induction to prove it is correct, but hasn't attempted a problem like the one in which he quoted.

At least, that's what I think :smile:
Start by figuring out what [itex]s_1,s_2,s_3,s_4[/itex] are, but don't substitute the value of [itex]s_{n-1}[/itex] in when figuring out [itex]s_n[/itex] and don't simplify the expression at all. Then start with [itex]s_4[/itex] and begin by substituting [itex]s_3[/itex] in, then [itex]s_2[/itex] etc. Do you notice a pattern?

Yes, currently, the full problem is find the explicit formula, prove using induction, and then determine if it converges. I can do the last two parts; I'm just not sure how to get started. I figured that I could list the first few terms in the sequence and try to find a pattern, but I wasn't sure if there was a better, less brute forth method. Heh.

Eh. It looks like [itex]\frac{n!}{2n}[/itex]

Last edited:
I can't think of any simpler methods for your problem than plugging and finding the pattern, because the pattern is easy to notice.

However, if you have to find an explicit formula for more complicated recurrences, then you should check out generating functions:

http://faculty.tru.ca/smcguinness/M270F11/M270F11notes3.pdf

No, it can't be [itex]\frac{n!}{2n}[/itex] because testing for n=1, we're already given that [itex]s_1=1[/itex] but [itex]\frac{n!}{2n}=\frac{1!}{2\cdot 1}=\frac{1}{2}[/itex].

Could you write out what [itex]s_2[/itex] is in terms of [itex]s_1[/itex], then [itex]s_3[/itex] in terms of [itex]s_2[/itex]?

Oops. You're right. Let me look at it again. I forgot to test for s1.

s1 = 1
s2 = [itex]\frac{2}{2}[/itex]s1
s3 = [itex]\frac{3}{4}[/itex]s2
s4 = [itex]\frac{4}{6}[/itex]s3
s5 = [itex]\frac{5}{8}[/itex]s4

Ok good, but now do it without equating 2*n in the denominator, just leave it as 2*3 for example.

Now, starting at s4 (you can start at s5 but s4 should be far enough up the chain to notice the pattern), begin by substituting the value of s3 in terms of s2 so you then have s4 in terms of s2. Then substitute again so it's in terms of s1, all the while not simplifying at all. Do you notice any patterns? Could you figure out what sn would look like in terms of s1?

Mentallic said:
Ok good, but now do it without equating 2*n in the denominator, just leave it as 2*3 for example.

Now, starting at s4 (you can start at s5 but s4 should be far enough up the chain to notice the pattern), begin by substituting the value of s3 in terms of s2 so you then have s4 in terms of s2. Then substitute again so it's in terms of s1, all the while not simplifying at all. Do you notice any patterns? Could you figure out what sn would look like in terms of s1?

(sn) = [itex]n(\frac{1}{2})[/itex]n-1

That's it!

Sorry I couldn't get back to this earlier.
Fwiw, there are some more methodical approaches than pattern spotting. On this one, I would first note that it is homogeneous, i.e. Given any two solutions to the recursion formula, any linear combination is also a solution.
Next, look at the asymptotic behaviour of the formula. For large n, it is roughly sn+1 = sn/2, suggesting the substitution sn = un2-n. That yields ##\frac{u_{n+1}}{n+1}=\frac{u_n}{n}##.

1. What is a sequence recursion formula?

A sequence recursion formula is a mathematical formula that recursively defines a sequence, where each term of the sequence is defined in terms of previous terms.

2. How is a sequence recursion formula different from a regular sequence formula?

A regular sequence formula defines each term in a sequence explicitly, while a sequence recursion formula defines each term in terms of previous terms, making it a recursive process.

3. What is the purpose of using a sequence recursion formula?

The purpose of using a sequence recursion formula is to simplify complex sequences and make them easier to calculate. It also allows for the construction of more complex sequences using simpler building blocks.

4. Can all sequences be defined using a recursion formula?

No, not all sequences can be defined using a recursion formula. Some sequences may not have a predictable pattern or may require non-recursive elements to be defined.

5. Can a sequence recursion formula be used to find the value of any term in a sequence?

Yes, a sequence recursion formula can be used to find the value of any term in a sequence by plugging in the previous terms and following the recursive definition until the desired term is reached.