Solve for k: Difference between nth terms of two series > 14

In summary, the problem is asking for the largest natural number k where the difference between the terms of two series, tn = 100(11/17)^n-1 and sn = 50(14/17)^n-1, is greater than 14. The question is unclear and difficult to understand, but the approach would be to find the difference between the two series and set it greater than 14, and then solve for k.
oilersforever72

Homework Statement

Hi, it's been a while since I've done questions such as the one below. Does anyone know how to solve it? (Note that k and n are actually sub-k and sub-n). Thanks in advance.

The kth term of a series, Sk = a (1-R^k) / (1-R) , is the sum of the first k terms of the underlying sequence. The difference between the nth terms of two particular series is greater than 14 for some values of n (all of which are real numbers). The series with the general term, tn = 100 (11/17)^n-1 begins larger than the second series with general term tn = 50(14/17)^n-1. Find the largest natural number, k, where the difference between the terms of these two series is larger than 14.

I don't even understand what it's asking for :S Please dumb it down as much as you can, haha.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
oilersforever72 said:

Homework Statement

Hi, it's been a while since I've done questions such as the one below. Does anyone know how to solve it? (Note that k and n are actually sub-k and sub-n). Thanks in advance.

The kth term of a series, Sk = a (1-R^k) / (1-R) , is the sum of the first k terms of the underlying sequence. The difference between the nth terms of two particular series is greater than 14 for some values of n (all of which are real numbers).
I'm having a bit of trouble following this. Sk is the kth partial sum? Are you saying that the nth terms of the [sequences are real numbers? The way you phrased it makes it sound like it is the values of n that are real- but they should be positive integers! I don't see how knowing about "some values of n" will tell you anything about the series itself.

The series with the general term, tn = 100 (11/17)^n-1 begins larger than the second series with general term tn = 50(14/17)^n-1.
Is that (100(11/17)^n)- 1 or 100(11/17)^(n-1)?
Find the largest natural number, k, where the difference between the terms of these two series is larger than 14.

I don't even understand what it's asking for :S Please dumb it down as much as you can, haha.
Might be a good idea to use different letters for these series: call tn= 100(11/17)n- 1 and sn= 50(14/17)n-1. Their difference is tn- sn[/sub]= 100(11/17)n- 50(14/17)n= 2(50(11/17)n- (14/17)n. They are asking you to find the largest k such that 2(50(11/17)k- (14/17)k> 14 or 50(11/17)k- (14/17)k= 7.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/QUOTE]

sorry man... that's part of my problem... this is the question as i got it... and i have no idea what it's saying. i think even if you couldn't figure out the answer, some guidance on how you would even approach such a question would be much appreciated. perhaps u've seen a similar question (better worded perhaps, lol)... if i could see the question and how someone answered it, i think i could take it from there... but yea... i too get confused with Sn and tn and that all that shazzz...

Last edited:

What are sequences and series?

Sequences and series are mathematical concepts that deal with a list of numbers or expressions that follow a specific pattern or rule.

What is the difference between a sequence and a series?

A sequence is a list of numbers or expressions, while a series is the sum of all the terms in a sequence.

How do you determine the sum of an infinite series?

The sum of an infinite series can be determined by finding the limit of the partial sums as the number of terms approaches infinity. This is known as the convergence of a series.

What are arithmetic and geometric sequences?

Arithmetic sequences are sequences in which the difference between consecutive terms is constant, while geometric sequences are sequences in which the ratio between consecutive terms is constant.

How can sequences and series be applied in real life?

Sequences and series have many applications in fields such as finance, physics, and computer science. They can be used to model natural phenomena, calculate compound interest, and compress data, among other things.