How Do Different Metrics Affect Convergence and Divergence of Sequences?

In summary: Yes, I do have information related to modular metric spaces. In summary, the sequence $(x_n)$ is divergent in $(X,d_1)$ if and only if $x_n$ is not Cauchy in $(X,d_1)$.
ozkan12
Let $X=R$ and ${d}_{1}\left(x,y\right)=\frac{1}{\eta}\left| x-y \right|$ $\eta\in \left(0,\infty\right)$ and ${d}_{2}\left(x,y\right)=\left| x-y \right|$..By using ${d}_{1}$ and ${d}_{2}$ please show that ${x}_{n}=\left(-1\right)^n$ is divergent and ${x}_{n}=\frac{1}{n}$ is convergent...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello again ozkan12,

You should show what you've tried or at least mention you don't know where to begin so that we know you've attempted the problem. For now, here are some things to consider. The metric $d_1$ is a constant multiple of $d_2$, so a sequence converges in $(X,d_1)$ if and only if it converges it $(X,d_2)$. Hence, it suffices to work with just the metric $d_2$.

Dear Euge,

Yes, it suffices to work with metric ${d}_{2}$...I found somethings, I sent these things...Please can you check it ?

Firstly, we will use metric ${d}_{2}$ and discuss on sequence ${x}_{n}=\frac{1}{n}$.

Let $\varepsilon>0$ and ${n}_{0}>\frac{1}{\varepsilon}$ (i.e the smallest integer that is larger than $\frac{1}{\varepsilon}$.)

İf, $n\ge{n}_{0}$

$n\ge{n}_{0}>\frac{1}{\varepsilon}$ $\implies$ $\frac{1}{n}\le\frac{1}{{n}_{0}}<\frac{1}{\varepsilon}$

Then, $d\left({x}_{n},0\right)=\frac{1}{\eta}\left| {x}_{n}-0 \right|=\frac{1}{\eta}\left| {x}_{n} \right|=\frac{1}{\eta}\frac{1}{n}\le\frac{1}{\eta}\frac{1}{{n}_{0}}<\frac{1}{\varepsilon.\eta}$.

But, I haven't a opinion related to sequence $x_n=(-1)^n$...Please can you check first one and help me related to $x_n=(-1)^n$

Assuming $d = d_1$, what you have is almost correct -- the two last $(1/\epsilon)$'s you have should be replaced with $\epsilon$. As for the case $x_n = (-1)^n$, consider that $d(x_n,x_m) = 2/\eta$ if $n + m$ is odd and $0$ otherwise. Hence, if $\epsilon = 1/\eta$, then given $N\in \Bbb N$, $d_1(x_{N+1},x_N) = 2/\eta > \epsilon$. Therefore, the sequence $(x_n)$ is not Cauchy in $(X,d_1)$. This implies $(x_n)$ is divergent in $(X,d_1)$.

Dear Euge

Thank you for your attention...Best wishes...:) Have you any information related to modular metric spaces ?

Related to How Do Different Metrics Affect Convergence and Divergence of Sequences?

What is a sequence in a metric space?

A sequence in a metric space is a list of points that converge towards a limit point. The points in the sequence get closer and closer to the limit point as the sequence progresses.

What is the difference between a convergent and a Cauchy sequence?

A convergent sequence is one that approaches a specific limit point, while a Cauchy sequence is one in which the distance between any two points in the sequence becomes arbitrarily small as the sequence progresses.

Why are sequences important in metric spaces?

Sequences play a crucial role in understanding the properties and behavior of metric spaces. They help us determine whether a given metric space is complete, connected, or compact, among other important properties.

Can a sequence have more than one limit point in a metric space?

Yes, a sequence can have multiple limit points in a metric space. This can occur when the sequence oscillates between two or more limit points, or when the limit points are clustered close together.

How do you prove that a sequence converges in a metric space?

To prove that a sequence converges in a metric space, one must show that the distance between the points in the sequence and the limit point becomes arbitrarily small as the sequence progresses. This can be done using the definition of convergence or by using the Cauchy criterion.