1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequentially compact space

1. Mar 16, 2010 #1
    Hello Physicsforums!
    I have a problem with the difference between complete metric space and a sequentially compact metric space.
    For the first one every Cauchy sequence converges inside the space, which is no problem.
    But for the last one "every sequence has a convergent subsequence." (-Wiki) And it's here that I get lost.

How does this affect the constraints on the space?
    Could someone please try to give me an intuitive explanation?

For [1,9] on the real axis we can take the sequence (1,2,3,4,5,6) as an example. How do we find a convergent subsequence in this one?
    Have I missunderstood it all?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2010 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the definition of "sequence"?

4. Mar 16, 2010 #3
    Hmm, I use this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequence .
    With
    Maybe it´s here that I am confused. :uhh:

Should we only work with Cauchy sequences maybe?

5. Mar 16, 2010 #4
    These definitions apply to infinite sequences. (1,2,3,4,5,6) is not an infinite sequence. It doesn't even mean anything for a finite sequence to converge!

6. Mar 16, 2010 #5

jav

To the original question..

In a complete metric space (an) converges <-> (an) is cauchy

In a compact metric space, every sequence an contains a convergent subsequence (ank).

We should note that convergence -> cauchy in any metric space.

Then, in a compact metric space, every sequence an contains a cauchy subsequence (ank).

Regardless, the properties of these two types of spaces are completely different.

A simple example highlighting the difference between the two is a subset of R1. Consider, the interval (0,1).

By the Heine-Borel theorem, this space is not compact since it is not closed.

It is, however, a complete metric space since cauchy <-> convergent in R1.

Was this your question?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook