Convergence of a Series with the Ratio Test

• Thread starter Alem2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the problem asks to use the ratio test to determine for which values of x the series \sum_{n=3}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n3^n} is conclusively converging or diverging. If the test is inconclusive, other methods must be used. The ratio test is applied and the resulting expression is simplified to determine the range of values for x. The remaining cases, x=3 and x=-3 are tested using other methods.
Alem2000
Sorry about the title everyone but I've posted numerous threads on series and I had to choose an apropriate title :tongue2:
The problem asks to use the ratio test, and determine for which values of x the test is conclusive-either converging or diverging. Then check those cases where the test is inconclusive by some other means.

here is the the series [tex]\sum_{n=3}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n3^n}[/tex]...converge or diverge here is what i did [tex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}[/tex] and that came out to be [tex]\frac{x^{n+1}}{(n+1)(3^{n+1})}[/tex] multiplie by the [tex]\frac{n3^{n}}{x^{n}}[/tex] and after you cross out similar variables and it comes out to be

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\frac{xn}{3(n+1)}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}=\frac{x^{n+1}n3^n}{x^n(n+1)3^{n+1}}=\frac{nx}{(n+1)3}[/tex]

thanks galileo but I got that far just had problems latexing it

So you get

[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \left| \frac{n}{(n+1)}\frac{x}{3}\right| = \frac{|x|}{3}[/tex]

And you know this is stricly less than 1 for it to be conclusively converging, strictly greater than 1 to be conclusively diverging, and inconclusive at 1. So you must test the values for which the expression equals one.

--J

The remaining cases are x=3 and x=-3

If x=3 then the series reduces to the harmonic series, which diverges.

If x=-3 then we have an alternating series, and we can use the Leibnitz test (whose exact conditions escape me right now).

1. What is a "Series againand again"?

A "Series againand again" is a term used in science to describe a repetitive pattern or sequence. It can refer to a repeated experiment or observation, or a recurring event or phenomenon.

2. How is a "Series againand again" different from a regular series?

A regular series is a sequence of numbers or events that follows a specific pattern or rule. A "Series againand again" is a specific type of series that involves repetition or recurrence of the same pattern or sequence.

3. What are some examples of "Series againand again" in science?

Some examples of "Series againand again" in science include the repeated observation of a comet's orbit, the recurring pattern of El Niño events, and the cyclic behavior of predator-prey relationships in an ecosystem.

4. How are "Series againand again" studied in science?

Scientists use various methods to study "Series againand again", including statistical analysis, data collection, and modeling. These methods help to identify patterns, predict future occurrences, and understand the underlying mechanisms behind the repetitive behavior.

5. What is the significance of studying "Series againand again" in science?

Studying "Series againand again" can provide valuable insights into the natural world and help us make predictions and informed decisions. It also allows us to better understand complex systems and processes that may have a cyclical nature.