Series and parallel circuit with multiple resistors?

In summary, when given a series and parallel circuit with multiple resistors, the equivalent resistance can be found by adding the individual resistances. The current can be calculated using Ohm's law and the total voltage drop is equal for both branches. The voltage drop across a specific resistor in a series circuit can be found using the voltage divider rule, where the voltage is divided proportionally based on the resistance of each resistor.
conov3
Series and parallel circuit with multiple resistors??

Homework Statement

If R1 = 27Ω and R2 = 7Ω :
a. What is the equivalent resistance of the circuit?
b. What is the current from the battery?
c. What is the voltage drop across the R1 resistor?

Homework Equations

I=V/R
ΔV=-IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached.. I am unsure if I did it correct, I got the first two I believe
Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• phys1.pdf
    273.4 KB · Views: 258
Physics news on Phys.org

Your answers for (a) and (b) look okay (although you didn't show any details for (a)).

For (c) I don't see an answer shown. I would suggest a voltage divider approach, since you have two resistances in series with given total voltage drop.

Would I be able to break it up to 4.5V going both ways.. say V=IR
I=4.5V/6ohms to get .75A
That is where I get confused with how to find the voltage drop with more than one resistor

conov3 said:
Would I be able to break it up to 4.5V going both ways.. say V=IR
I=4.5V/6ohms to get .75A
That is where I get confused with how to find the voltage drop with more than one resistor

No! Voltage does not split between parallel branches, it is common (equal) for both. Current divides between branches as you've seen.

The voltage from the top to the bottom of BOTH branches is 9V. That means if you're analyzing the left branch (containing R1), you can completely ignore the other branch provided you know the branch voltage. In this case you do know the branch voltage, it's 9V.

If you have two resistors in series, say Ra and Rb, and a voltage across them, V, then the current flowing is:

[itex] I = \frac{V}{Ra + Rb} [/itex]

Thus by Ohm's law the voltage that appears across Ra is:

[itex] Va = I Ra= V \frac{Ra}{Ra + Rb} [/itex]

Similarly, the voltage across Rb is

[itex] Va = I Rb= V \frac{Rb}{Ra + Rb} [/itex]

So as you can see, a voltage divider takes the "input" voltage and places across each resistor a fraction of the total voltage in proportion to that resistor's fraction of the total resistance. This is a very handy relationship, and is well worth memorizing.

So does that mean voltage drop =9*(27/33) => 7.36V?

conov3 said:
So does that mean voltage drop =9*(27/33) => 7.36V?

Yes.

Thank you so much for the clarification!

1. What is the difference between a series and parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the components are connected one after another, forming a single path for the current to flow through. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected side by side, creating multiple paths for the current to flow through.

2. How do you calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

The total resistance in a series circuit is equal to the sum of all the individual resistances. For example, if there are three resistors with values of 2 ohms, 3 ohms, and 5 ohms, the total resistance would be 10 ohms (2 + 3 + 5 = 10).

3. How do you calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit?

The total resistance in a parallel circuit is calculated using the formula 1/RT = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ..., where RT is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances. This means that the total resistance will always be less than the smallest individual resistance in the circuit.

4. What happens to the current and voltage in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the current remains the same at all points, while the voltage is divided between the different components. This means that the voltage across each component will be less than the total voltage of the circuit.

5. What happens to the current and voltage in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the voltage remains the same at all points, while the current is divided between the different branches. This means that the total current in the circuit will be equal to the sum of the currents in each branch.