Series circuit problem - am I correct?

In summary, at t=0, the switch is closed and the electric flux through the capacitor is 7.06 Vm^2. The maximum electric displacement current through the capacitor is .167 A.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

A simple series circuit consists of a 150 ohm resistor, a 25 V battery, a switch and 2.5 pF parallel plate capacitor(uncharged initially) w/ plates 5mm apart. The switch is closed at t=0.

What is the maximum electric flux and maximum displacement current through the capacitor?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Maximum flux will be achieved when the capacitor is fully charged, at
Vc = Vbat Vc = 25 V Q = (2.5*10^-12)(25) = 6.25 * 10 ^-11 C
Electric flux = EA cos(theta)= qin/epsilon
6.25*10e-11 / 8.85e-12 = <b> 7.06 Vm^2 </b>

Displacement current = 8.85* 10e-12 * dFluxElectric/dt

which = I/epsilon

I need to find the Imax, so I used the formula for the charging of a capacitor:

Q = Qmax(1-e^-t/RC)
I = -dQ/dt = -Qmax/RC * (1-e^-t/RC) RC = 3.75 e-10

the maximum I is Qmax/RC Qmax is calculated above to be 6.25e-11
so Imax is .167 A

so I think the maximum displacement current is .167 A

Did I do this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
bcjochim07 said:
so I think the maximum displacement current is .167 A
Got that part right. I didn't check the flux

This looks right to me, just to mention one thing (that it is mentioned in the OP, just not with so big clarity), that the displacement current through the capacitor equals the conventional current that reaches the capacitor's plates. This is a consequence of Gauss's law in integral form by taking the derivative with respect to time in both sides,$$\oint E \cdot dA=\frac{q}{\epsilon_0}\Rightarrow \epsilon_0 \frac{d\oint E\cdot dA}{dt}=\frac{dq}{dt}\Rightarrow \epsilon_0 \frac{d\Phi_E}{dt}=\frac{dq}{dt}$$

Likes Steve4Physics and phinds
Maximum displacement current is ## \frac V R = \frac {25V}{150 \Omega} = 0.167A##. It’s as simple as that!

That’s because the displacement current equals the conduction current, as already noted by @Delta in Post #3.

At the instant the voltage is applied, the (uncharged) capacitor offers no opposition to charge-flow: the capacitor acts as a short-circuit (zero resistance). The instantaneous initial circuit current is therefore a maximum and equals ##\frac V R ##.

Likes Delta2

1. What is a series circuit?

A series circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the components are connected in a single loop, with the same current flowing through each component. This means that the current is only able to follow one path.

2. How do I know if I have solved a series circuit problem correctly?

To check if you have solved a series circuit problem correctly, you can use Kirchhoff's voltage law and Ohm's law to calculate the voltage and current at each component. If your calculations match the given values, then you have solved the problem correctly.

3. What is Kirchhoff's voltage law?

Kirchhoff's voltage law states that the sum of all the voltages in a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. This means that the total voltage supplied by the power source must be equal to the voltage drops across each component.

4. Can I apply Ohm's law to a series circuit problem?

Yes, Ohm's law can be applied to a series circuit problem as long as the components are all resistors. Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage across it and inversely proportional to its resistance.

5. What happens if one component in a series circuit fails?

If one component in a series circuit fails, it will break the loop and cause the circuit to stop working. This is because in a series circuit, the same current flows through each component, so if one component is no longer functioning, the current cannot continue to flow through the circuit.