Series Convergence/Divergence Problem

• Thread starter AxeluteZero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses a series and whether it converges or diverges. The geometric series formula is mentioned as a way to determine the convergence of the series. The differences between this series and a similar one are also discussed. The conversation ends with a suggestion to expand the series to see if it is a geometric series.
AxeluteZero

Homework Statement

Does the series converge or diverge? Give reason for your answer; if it converges, find its sum.

[tex]\infty\sum[/tex] n=0 [tex]\frac{(-1)^{(n+1)} * 3 - 1}{2^n}[/tex]

Homework Equations

If |r|<1, the geometric series converges to a/(1-r). If |r|> or = 1, it diverges.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\infty\sum[/tex] n=1 [tex]\frac{(-1)^{(n+1)} * 3}{2^n}[/tex] <---- This is a very similar problem that I was able to figure out.

In this problem, it's a geometric series that converges to 1 (with a sum of [tex]\frac{(3/2)}{1-(-1/2)}[/tex].

However, this particular problem has two differences. One is the -1 on top, which shouldn't matter as n-> infinity since it's so small. The other difference is it starts at zero, so I'm not sure if the above equation (in part "b") is relevant, with a/(1-r). I tried finding an "a" and got -4, but I'm not sure what to do about the r, besides assuming that the 3 and -1 don't matter:

Then I'd get (-1)^n+1 / 2^n which would be 1/2 = r. Help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fixed your LaTeX. You can see what I did by double-clicking the summations.
AxeluteZero said:

Homework Statement

Does the series converge or diverge? Give reason for your answer; if it converges, find its sum.

[tex]\sum_{ n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n+1} * 3 - 1}{2^n}[/tex]

Homework Equations

If |r|<1, the geometric series converges to a/(1-r). If |r|> or = 1, it diverges.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n+1} * 3}{2^n}[/tex] <---- This is a very similar problem that I was able to figure out.

In this problem, it's a geometric series that converges to 1 (with a sum of [tex]\frac{(3/2)}{1-(-1/2)}[/tex].

However, this particular problem has two differences. One is the -1 on top, which shouldn't matter as n-> infinity since it's so small. The other difference is it starts at zero, so I'm not sure if the above equation (in part "b") is relevant, with a/(1-r). I tried finding an "a" and got -4, but I'm not sure what to do about the r, besides assuming that the 3 and -1 don't matter:

Then I'd get (-1)^n+1 / 2^n which would be 1/2 = r. Help?

Ah, thank you!

I would expand the summation to see how close it is to the summation you've already worked with.

In terms of the series itself, the ACTUAL series I'm working with (with the extra -1) gets closer to zero more slowly than the other.

I can't use the comparison, ratio/root, or integral tests on this either. Only the geometric series formula.

So, in other words...

The top term oscillates between 2 and -4 and the bottom goes to infinity, thus Lim (n -> infinity) = 0 so the series converges to SOME number, correct so far?

Last edited:
If you expand the series you'll see that it is a geometric series. What do the first four or five terms of this series look like?

Related to Series Convergence/Divergence Problem

1. What is the definition of series convergence and divergence?

Series convergence refers to the property of a series where the terms of the series approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases. Series divergence, on the other hand, is when the terms of the series do not approach a finite limit and the series does not have a sum.

2. How do you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, such as the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. These tests involve comparing the terms of the series to a known convergent or divergent series or using integrals to evaluate the series.

3. What is the importance of series convergence and divergence in mathematics?

The concept of series convergence and divergence is important in mathematics as it allows us to determine the behavior and properties of infinite sums. It is also used in many real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering, to model and solve problems.

4. Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series cannot be both convergent and divergent. It is either one or the other. However, some series may have parts that are convergent and other parts that are divergent, making the overall series conditionally convergent.

5. How can the convergence or divergence of a series be proven?

To prove the convergence or divergence of a series, one must show that the series satisfies the conditions of a specific convergence or divergence test. This could involve manipulating the terms of the series, using known convergent or divergent series, or using integrals.