Series cos(x)^n/3^n boundary question

In summary, the given series \sum^{infinity}_{n=0}\frac{cos(x)^n}{3^n} is a geometric series in cos(x) and converges for all values of x, with a sum of \frac{3}{3-cos(x)}. The range of cos(x) is -1 to 1, so the given inequality -3<cos(x)<3 is satisfied for all values of x. This is because the range of cos(x)/3 is -1/3 to 1/3, which falls within the range of -1 to 1. Therefore, the series converges for all values of x.
NastyAccident

Homework Statement

[tex]\sum^{infinity}_{n=0}\frac{cos(x)^n}{3^n}[/tex]

Find the values of x for which the series converges.
(z,p)

Find the sum of the series for those values of x.

Homework Equations

Geometric Series Sum (a/(1-r))
Geometric Series a*r^n

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I have b correct, so I'm going to lead with b solution:
[tex]\sum^{infinity}_{n=0}\frac{cos(x)^{n}}{3^{n}}[/tex]

[tex]\sum^{infinity}_{n=0}(\frac{cos(x)}{3})^{n}[/tex]
This series is a geometric series a = 1 and r = [tex]\frac{cos(x)}{3}[/tex].
Since, [tex]\left|r\right|=\left|\frac{cos(x)}{3}\right|<1[/tex], it converges and gives
[tex]\frac{1}{1-\frac{cos(x)}{3}}[/tex]

Attempt at a.
Since the series starts at n = 0, the first term, is always going to be 1. Find the values of x for which the series converges. Thus,
[tex]\left|\frac{cos(x)}{3}\right|<1[/tex]

[tex]-1<\frac{cos(x)}{3}<1[/tex]

[tex]-3<cos(x)<3[/tex]

[tex]arccos(-3)<x<arccos(3)[/tex]

But, the issue is the the domain of arccos(x) is -1<x<1... I'm not necessarily sure what I'm doing wrong for this particular problem.

I've tried -1/3 (since the range of cosine is -1 to 1) and -3, both were incorrect.

As always any help or further explanation is welcome and will be greatly appreciated!

NastyAccident

Physics news on Phys.org
hi NastyAccident, may computer is being a bit silly with tex to read, but hope this helps

first does the series below converge?
[tex]\sum^{infinity}_{n=0}\frac{1}{3^{n}}[/tex]

then maybe have a think about absolute convergence & the absolute value of cos

What you did at first is correct and completely answers the question: that is a geometric series in cos(x) and converges as long as -1< cos(x)/3< 1 which is the same as -3< cos(x)< 3. Since the range of cosine is only -1 to 1, that converges for all x and the sum is
[tex]\frac{1}{1- \frac{cos(x)}{3}}= \frac{3}{3- cos(x)}[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
What you did at first is correct and completely answers the question: that is a geometric series in cos(x) and converges as long as -1< cos(x)/3< 1 which is the same as -3< cos(x)< 3. Since the range of cosine is only -1 to 1, that converges for all x and the sum is
[tex]\frac{1}{1- \frac{cos(x)}{3}}= \frac{3}{3- cos(x)}[/tex]

Ahh! So, I should of stopped on the step before I took the arccos of each side.

Now, a new question that I have is why did you just leave it as cos(x)? The normal thought is to create an inequality like -1<x<1 that has x solely in the middle. Since there was a trigonometry function, is it just custom to have an inequality like -1<cos(x)<1?

From after that step, I can easily understand everything else: such as, cos(x) range is from -1 to 1 and range for this particular series would be [-1/3,1/3]. This fits inside the -3<cos(x)<3 inequality.

Many thanks for your help Ivy!
NastyAccident

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for the series cos(x)^n/3^n?

The formula for the series cos(x)^n/3^n is given by the following expression:
n=0 (cos(x))^n/3^n

2. What is the boundary condition for this series?

The boundary condition for this series is given by the following expression:
limn→∞ |cos(x)|^n/3^n = 0

3. How do you determine the convergence of this series?

The convergence of this series can be determined by using the ratio test. If the limit of |cos(x)|^n+1/3^n+1 as n approaches infinity is less than 1, then the series converges. Otherwise, it diverges.

4. Is this series absolutely convergent or conditionally convergent?

This series is absolutely convergent. This means that the series converges even when the absolute value of each term is taken.

5. What is the interval of convergence for this series?

The interval of convergence for this series is [-1, 1]. This means that the series will converge for any value of x between -1 and 1, and diverge for any value of x outside of this interval.