1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series cos(x)^n/3^n boundary question

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\sum^{infinity}_{n=0}\frac{cos(x)^n}{3^n}[/tex]

Find the values of x for which the series converges.
    (z,p)

Find the sum of the series for those values of x.

2. Relevant equations
    Geometric Series Sum (a/(1-r))
    Geometric Series a*r^n

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe I have b correct, so I'm going to lead with b solution:
    [tex]\sum^{infinity}_{n=0}\frac{cos(x)^{n}}{3^{n}}[/tex]

[tex]\sum^{infinity}_{n=0}(\frac{cos(x)}{3})^{n}[/tex]
    This series is a geometric series a = 1 and r = [tex]\frac{cos(x)}{3}[/tex].
    Since, [tex]\left|r\right|=\left|\frac{cos(x)}{3}\right|<1[/tex], it converges and gives
    [tex]\frac{1}{1-\frac{cos(x)}{3}}[/tex]

Attempt at a.
    Since the series starts at n = 0, the first term, is always going to be 1. Find the values of x for which the series converges. Thus,
    [tex]\left|\frac{cos(x)}{3}\right|<1[/tex]

[tex]-1<\frac{cos(x)}{3}<1[/tex]

[tex]-3<cos(x)<3[/tex]

[tex]arccos(-3)<x<arccos(3)[/tex]

But, the issue is the the domain of arccos(x) is -1<x<1... I'm not necessarily sure what I'm doing wrong for this particular problem.

I've tried -1/3 (since the range of cosine is -1 to 1) and -3, both were incorrect.

As always any help or further explanation is welcome and will be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

NastyAccident

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

hi NastyAccident, may computer is being a bit silly with tex to read, but hope this helps

first does the series below converge?
    [tex]\sum^{infinity}_{n=0}\frac{1}{3^{n}}[/tex]

then maybe have a think about absolute convergence & the absolute value of cos

4. Oct 6, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What you did at first is correct and completely answers the question: that is a geometric series in cos(x) and converges as long as -1< cos(x)/3< 1 which is the same as -3< cos(x)< 3. Since the range of cosine is only -1 to 1, that converges for all x and the sum is
    [tex]\frac{1}{1- \frac{cos(x)}{3}}= \frac{3}{3- cos(x)}[/tex]

5. Oct 6, 2009 #4
    Ahh! So, I should of stopped on the step before I took the arccos of each side.

Now, a new question that I have is why did you just leave it as cos(x)? The normal thought is to create an inequality like -1<x<1 that has x solely in the middle. Since there was a trigonometry function, is it just custom to have an inequality like -1<cos(x)<1?

From after that step, I can easily understand everything else: such as, cos(x) range is from -1 to 1 and range for this particular series would be [-1/3,1/3]. This fits inside the -3<cos(x)<3 inequality.

Many thanks for your help Ivy!

Sincerely,

NastyAccident

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook