Series Expansion: Finding Limit x→0 of 1/(Sin^2(x))-1/x^2

• Thread starter Physicist_FTW
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses using series expansion to find the limit as x approaches 0 of 1/(sin^2)(x) - 1/x^2. The first speaker mentions their assumption that sin^2(x) is equivalent to x^2 - 2x^4/6 + x^6/36, but the second speaker points out that higher order terms have been omitted and asks for enough terms to capture the behavior of 1/sin^2(x) - 1/x^2. The first speaker is unsure of how to find the limit and the second speaker suggests factoring the denominator and using the geometric series formula to simplify the expression. The conversation ends with a suggestion to go back and figure out
Physicist_FTW
use series expansion to fine the limit as x--->0 of

1/(sin^2)(x) - 1/x^2

Sin^2(x)=(X-X^3/3!)^2 I've assumed this gave me
Sin^2(x)=X^2-2X^4/6+X^6/36
flip this over is that equivalent to 1/Sin^2(x)?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not totally equivalent because you omitted higher order terms. Can you show you have enough terms to capture the behavior of 1/sin^2(x)-1/x^2 in the sense that terms that you omitted will go to zero as x->0?

Im sorry I am not quite sure what you mean by that?

I'm just saying sin(x) isn't equal to x-x^3/3!. You omitted the higher order terms, like x^5/5!. As you work out the limit you'll want to convince yourself that including them doesn't affect the limit as x->0. Do you know how to find the limit of 1/(x-x^3/3!)^2-1/x^2?

Actually no i dont, maybe you could explain to me how?

Factor the denominator of x-x^3/6 as x*(1-x^2/6). So you've got (1/x)*(1/(1-x^2/6)). Use that 1/(1-a)=1+a+a^2+a^3+... (the usual geometric series thing) to move the second factor into the numerator.
Now you've got (1/x)^2*(1+x^2/6+...)^2-1/x^2. Expand it. Now go back and figure out why I didn't need to keep any higher powers of x than I did.

1. What is a series expansion?

A series expansion is a mathematical technique used to represent a function as a sum of terms, typically involving powers of a variable. It is useful for solving problems involving limits, derivatives, and integrals.

2. How is a series expansion used to find the limit of a function?

In order to find the limit of a function using a series expansion, we first write the function as a sum of simpler terms. Then, we take the limit of each term individually, which is typically easier to evaluate. Finally, we combine the limits of the individual terms to find the overall limit of the function.

3. What is the limit of 1/(Sin^2(x))-1/x^2 as x approaches 0?

The limit does not exist. As x approaches 0, the function alternates between positive and negative infinity, and therefore does not have a single, finite limit.

4. Can the limit be simplified using algebraic manipulations?

Yes, the limit can be simplified by factoring out common terms and using algebraic rules to simplify the expression. However, in the case of 1/(Sin^2(x))-1/x^2, the limit still does not exist after simplification.

5. What is the significance of finding the limit of a function?

Finding the limit of a function is important in understanding the behavior of the function near a particular value. It can also help in evaluating derivatives and integrals, and can be used to solve real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.