1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series question

1. May 5, 2008 #1

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove or disprove:
    There exist series [tex]\sum a_n[/tex] and [tex]\sum b_n[/tex] so that:
    1) you can get [tex] b_n [/tex] by rearranging the elements of [tex] a_n [/tex]
    2) [tex]\sum b_n = 2 + \sum a_n [/tex]
    3) [tex]\sum |b_n| = 2 \sum a_n [/tex]
    (all the series converge to finate values)
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    From (1) I know that [tex]\sum |b_n| = \sum |a_n| [/tex] but I can't see how can to continue from here, can someone point me in the right direction?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2008 #2
    You can't say that all series mentioned converge, because if [tex]\sum |b_n|[/tex] converges then the series is absolutely convergent which means that any reordering of the original series [tex]\sum b_n[/tex] converges to the same value, which implies that [tex]\sum a_n = \sum b_n[/tex] by virtue of (1). That means that (1) contradicts (2). So I have to say that it's impossible. But I could be wrong.
  4. May 5, 2008 #3

Gold Member

How do you know that rearranging the elements in an absolutly converging series doesn't change their value?

EDIT: Oh, it's easy to see that that's true if you split up each of the series into positive and negative "sub-series".

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited: May 5, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?