Set Notation in Probability: Clarifying the Meaning of Union and Intersection

In summary, A\cupB is the event "either A or B or both," meaning that A and B can happen together or A or B can happen alone. A\capB is the event "both A and B," indicating that both events must happen.
Mesmer
I'm having a little difficulty understaning the notation used in my probability class. Would someone tell me if I'm on the right track with it :)

[tex] A\cup B [/tex] is the event "either A or B or both." Does this mean that A and B can happen together and that A or B can happen alone?

[tex] A\cap B is the event "both A and B" Does this mean that both events MUST happen? [/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
fore some reason latex is not rendering the images :(

Mesmer said:
I'm having a little difficulty understaning the notation used in my probability class. Would someone tell me if I'm on the right track with it :)

[tex] A\cupB [/tex] is the event "either A or B or both." Does this mean that A and B can happen together and that A or B can happen alone?
Yes, that is the "inclusive" or: A or B or both.

[tex] A\capB is the event "both A and B" Does this mean that both events MUST happen? [/tex]
Yes.

Now I'm getting a message that my reply is too short! How long does it have to be?

10 characters :p

Gib Z said:
10 characters :p

...and it doesn't even include space bars! :-p

Related to Set Notation in Probability: Clarifying the Meaning of Union and Intersection

What is set notation?

Set notation is a way to represent and describe sets, which are collections of objects or numbers. It uses symbols and mathematical language to indicate the elements of a set and the relationships between them.

Why is set notation important?

Set notation allows us to define and manipulate sets in a precise and concise way. It is essential in mathematics and other scientific fields for organizing and analyzing data, making predictions, and solving problems.

What are the basic elements of set notation?

The basic elements of set notation include the set name or symbol, braces { }, and elements separated by commas. Optional elements may include a colon : to indicate a relationship between elements, and a vertical bar | to specify conditions or restrictions on the elements.

How do you read set notation?

Set notation is read as "the set of all elements x such that x satisfies the given conditions." For example, the set {x | x is a positive integer} can be read as "the set of all elements x such that x is a positive integer."

What are some common symbols used in set notation?

Some common symbols used in set notation include the union symbol ∪, which represents the combination of two sets, the intersection symbol ∩, which represents the common elements of two sets, and the empty set symbol ∅, which represents a set with no elements. Other symbols include the subset symbol ⊆, the element of symbol ∈, and the not element of symbol ∉.