1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set theory proof help?

1. Oct 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let A and B be sets. Prove that A U B=(A-B) U (B-A)U (A∩B)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I want to prove the foward direction: A U B⊆(A-B) U (B-A)U (A∩B) then
    from my understanding I know that xεA or xεB. And I can assume wolog that xεA. But since I assume that x is an element from A, its already equal to (A-B) U (B-A)U (A∩B)? Since xεA and x is not an element of B or xεb and not an element of A or x is both an element of A and B? is that all i have to show for the foward direction?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2012 #2
    ok i was thinking this for a while. Lets take two sets A={1,2,3,4,5} and {3,4,5,6,7}
    so I can divide this proof into 3 cases:
    case 1: xεA
    case 2: xεB
    case 3: xεA and xεB.

am i right?

4. Oct 4, 2012 #3
    Im not sure what you've covered so far. Do you know the logical definition of a subset?

5. Oct 4, 2012 #4
    Foward Direction:A U B⊆(A-B) U (B-A)U (A∩B)
    Case 1: xεA
    Since xεA then xε(A-B). xε(A-B) means that xεA and x is not an element of B.
    Case 2: xεB
    Since xεB then xε(B-A) which means that xεB and x is not an element of A.
    Case 3:xεA and xεB
    Since xεA and xεB then xε(A∩B) means that xεA and xεB.
    Hence A U B⊆(A-B) U (B-A)U (A∩B).

Reverse direction
    (A-B) U (B-A) U (A∩B)⊆A U B
    Background: I have to show that xε(A-B) or xε(B-A) or xε(A∩B) is a subset of A U B.

Case 1:xε(A-B)
    Since xε(A-B) then this means that xεA and x is not a element of B. Which means that xε(AUB). xε(AUB) means that xεA or xεB. Hence (A-B)⊆A U B.

Case 2: xε(B-A)
    Since xε(A-B) then this means that xεB and x is not an element of A. Hence xε(AUB) which is similar as the above case. Hence (B-A)⊆A U B.

Case 3: xε(A∩B)
    Since xε(A∩B) which implies that xεA and xεB. This means that xε(AUB). Since xεA or xεB or both xεA and xεB. Hence (A∩B)⊆A U B.
    Therefore (A-B) U (B-A) U (A∩B)⊆A U B
    Im not entirely sure if this proof is right. It seems verbose but then again im taking an introduction class.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  6. Oct 5, 2012 #5
    Not quite. Let me go through what you did.

Case 1: xεA

"Since xεA then xε(A-B)" (This is not true consider x in both A and B. Then x wont be in A-B but it is in A). xε(A-B) means that xεA and x is not an element of B.
    Case 2: xεB
    "Since xεB then xε(B-A)" (Again this is not true) which means that xεB and x is not an element of A.
    Case 3:xεA and xεB
    Since xεA and xεB then xε(A∩B) "means that xεA and xεB (redundant)".
    Hence A U B⊆(A-B) U (B-A)U (A∩B).

Reverse direction
    (A-B) U (B-A) U (A∩B)⊆A U B
    Background: I have to show that xε(A-B) or xε(B-A) or xε(A∩B) is a subset of A U B.

Case 1:xε(A-B)
    Since xε(A-B) then this means that xεA "and x is not a element of B (useless info)". Which means that xε(AUB). xε(AUB) "means that xεA or xεB (This step should be before you say x is in AUB). Hence (A-B)⊆A U B.

Case 2: xε(B-A)
    Since xε(A-B) then this means that xεB "and x is not an element of A (useless info)". Hence xε(AUB) which is similar as the above case. Hence (B-A)⊆A U B.

Case 3: xε(A∩B)
    Since xε(A∩B) which implies that xεA and xεB. This means that xε(AUB). Since xεA or xεB or both xεA and xεB (this step should be before concluding xε(AUB)) . Hence (A∩B)⊆A U B.
    Therefore (A-B) U (B-A) U (A∩B)⊆A U B
    Im not entirely sure if this proof is right. It seems verbose but then again im taking an

The first direction needs more work. The second just needs a little fix. The first direction is harder and it might require showing that A = (A-B)U(A∩B). Also, I'm not sure if your class covered this but, xε(A-B) <=> xε(A∩B[itex]^{c}[/itex]) (B[itex]^{c}[/itex]) is the complement of B)

7. Oct 5, 2012 #6
    since the definition of AUB is xεA or xεB then I thought that x could be in either set A or set B or both. That was the reason behind my three cases. Oh maybe I should have written it like this for the foward direction

Case 1: xεA and x is not element of B
    Case 2: xεA and xεB
    Case 3: xεB and x is not an element of A but that is the same as case 1.

8. Oct 6, 2012 #7
    I'm not sure what you are trying to justify.
    Here is the definition of a subset:
    A[itex]\subset[/itex]B [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] for any x, x [itex]\in[/itex]A [itex]\Rightarrow [/itex] x [itex]\in[/itex]B

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook