Set Theory Proof(Using Identities)

In summary: Awesome work, ozymandris! In summary, by using normal set axioms such as distributivity and DeMorgan's laws, Ozymandris was able to prove that A U B is equal to (A ∩ B') U (A' ∩ B) U (A ∩ B).
ozymandris
Hi, I've been trying for 3 hours to solve this proof using identities. I can't seem to get it.

Can i get a little help please?

Prove: A U B = (A ∩ B') U (A' ∩ B) U (A ∩ B)

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi ozymandris! welcome to pf! :smile:

do the easy bit first …

what is (A' ∩ B) U (A ∩ B) ? :wink:

ozymandris said:
Hi, I've been trying for 3 hours to solve this proof using identities. I can't seem to get it.

Can i get a little help please?

Prove: A U B = (A ∩ B') U (A' ∩ B) U (A ∩ B)

thanks

Hey ozymandris and welcome to the forums.

What are you allowed to take for granted? Can you use normal set axioms like distributivity, DeMorgans laws, and so on?

chiro said:
Hey ozymandris and welcome to the forums.

What are you allowed to take for granted? Can you use normal set axioms like distributivity, DeMorgans laws, and so on?

(A' ∩ B) U (A ∩ B) = (A' U A) ∩ B

We're allowed all the normal set axioms, distributivity, deMorgan, etc etc

ozymandris said:
(A' ∩ B) U (A ∩ B) = (A' U A) ∩ B

yup! :smile:

and A' U A = … ? :wink:

tiny-tim said:

ok, i think I've gotten it. It took me nearly a page of workout. I'll post it when i have a minute to type it all in.

It should be only two lines, so you might want to see if you can shorten your reasoning.

tiny-tim said:

A' U A = \varnothing

(A ∩ B') U (A' U A) ∩ B

(A ∩ B') U {Universal} ∩ B

(A ∩ B') U B if i distribute from this

(A U B ) ∩ (B' U B)

A U B

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It provides a formal framework for understanding and manipulating collections of objects, and plays a fundamental role in many areas of mathematics such as algebra, topology, and logic.

2. What are the basic identities used in set theory proofs?

The basic identities used in set theory proofs are the commutative, associative, and distributive properties. These properties allow us to rearrange and combine sets in different ways while preserving their essential properties.

3. How are set theory proofs different from other types of proofs?

Set theory proofs are different from other types of proofs because they use the language and concepts of set theory, which is based on logic and symbolic notation. This allows for a more precise and rigorous approach to proving mathematical statements.

4. What are some common strategies used in set theory proofs?

Some common strategies used in set theory proofs include using the basic identities, using logical equivalences, and using proof by contradiction or proof by induction. It is also important to carefully define and analyze the given sets and their properties before attempting to prove a statement about them.

5. How can set theory proofs be applied in real-world situations?

Set theory proofs can be applied in real-world situations in various ways. For example, they can be used to model and analyze complex systems, to design algorithms for data processing and analysis, and to solve problems in fields such as computer science, economics, and statistics.