1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set theory proof

Tags:
  1. Apr 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Attached is the problem

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I have to show that each side is a subset of the other side

Assume x∈ A ∪ (∩Bi)
    so x∈A or x∈∩Bi

case 1 x∈ ∩ Bi

so x∈ (B1∩B2∩B3.......∩Bn)
    which implies x∈B1 and x∈B2 ......... and x∈Bn
    so x∈B1∪A and x∈B2∪A.......... and x∈Bn∪A
    so x∈∩(A∪Bi)

My teacher told me that this approach doesn't work because the sets can be infinite and told me to use "words". I don't what he meant with that.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You don't need to use words instead of symbols, though you could. What you do need to do is avoid writing it as a finite (or even countably infinite) intersection. It is not hard to convert your proof to one that works.

4. Apr 2, 2016 #3
    can I say n->infinity?

5. Apr 2, 2016 #4
    what about if I split (∩Bi) into two finite sets call it S and B so it equals SnB

6. Apr 2, 2016 #5

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem is that by writing x∈ (B1∩B2∩B3.......∩Bn) you have assumed that the index set ##I## has only ##n## elements. But in fact it may be infinite, or worse, uncountable. That assumption cannot be made because it may be false. Consider for instance if the index set ##I## is the set of all real numbers in the interval [0,1) and ##B_j## for ##j\in I## is the set of all positive real numbers whose fractional part is ##j##. Then ##I## is uncountably infinite.

To avoid making that invalid assumption, use the quantifier ##\forall##, which means 'for all'.

So you have ##x\in\bigcap_{j\in I} B_j## and instead of writing

x∈B1 and x∈B2 ......... and x∈Bn

you write ##\forall j\in I:\ x\in B_j##.

Similarly for the rest of your proof: wherever you find yourself using ##n## or an ellipsis (that's the '.....' you've written in the middle of lists), get rid of them by re-writing using ##\forall##.

When you come to do similar proofs for unions of indexed sets you will need to use the other quantifier ##\exists##, which means 'there exists' ('there is at least one').

7. Apr 2, 2016 #6
    thanks!!!!!!

8. Apr 2, 2016 #7
    by the way I am theMathNoob. can you ask the administrator to unban my account?. I promise I won't post silly ps4 questions.

9. Apr 3, 2016 #8

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed for Moderation...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook