Proving Set Equality: A Simple and Effective Method

In summary, this student's teacher told him that the approach he was using wouldn't work because the sets could be infinite, and he was recommended to use words instead.
Jairo Rojas

Homework Statement

Attached is the problem

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have to show that each side is a subset of the other side

Assume x∈ A ∪ (∩Bi)
so x∈A or x∈∩Bi

case 1 x∈ ∩ Bi

so x∈ (B1∩B2∩B3...∩Bn)
which implies x∈B1 and x∈B2 ... and x∈Bn
so x∈B1∪A and x∈B2∪A... and x∈Bn∪A
so x∈∩(A∪Bi)

My teacher told me that this approach doesn't work because the sets can be infinite and told me to use "words". I don't what he meant with that.

Attachments

• Screenshot (18).png
    Screenshot (18).png
    20.3 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
Jairo Rojas said:
My teacher told me that this approach doesn't work because the sets can be infinite and told me to use "words". I don't what he meant with that.
You don't need to use words instead of symbols, though you could. What you do need to do is avoid writing it as a finite (or even countably infinite) intersection. It is not hard to convert your proof to one that works.

haruspex said:
You don't need to use words instead of symbols, though you could. What you do need to do is avoid writing it as a finite (or even countably infinite) intersection. It is not hard to convert your proof to one that works.
can I say n->infinity?

haruspex said:
what about if I split (∩Bi) into two finite sets call it S and B so it equals SnB

The problem is that by writing x∈ (B1∩B2∩B3...∩Bn) you have assumed that the index set ##I## has only ##n## elements. But in fact it may be infinite, or worse, uncountable. That assumption cannot be made because it may be false. Consider for instance if the index set ##I## is the set of all real numbers in the interval [0,1) and ##B_j## for ##j\in I## is the set of all positive real numbers whose fractional part is ##j##. Then ##I## is uncountably infinite.

To avoid making that invalid assumption, use the quantifier ##\forall##, which means 'for all'.

So you have ##x\in\bigcap_{j\in I} B_j## and instead of writing

x∈B1 and x∈B2 ... and x∈Bn

you write ##\forall j\in I:\ x\in B_j##.

Similarly for the rest of your proof: wherever you find yourself using ##n## or an ellipsis (that's the '...' you've written in the middle of lists), get rid of them by re-writing using ##\forall##.

When you come to do similar proofs for unions of indexed sets you will need to use the other quantifier ##\exists##, which means 'there exists' ('there is at least one').

andrewkirk said:
The problem is that by writing x∈ (B1∩B2∩B3...∩Bn) you have assumed that the index set ##I## has only ##n## elements. But in fact it may be infinite, or worse, uncountable. That assumption cannot be made because it may be false. Consider for instance if the index set ##I## is the set of all real numbers in the interval [0,1) and ##B_j## for ##j\in I## is the set of all positive real numbers whose fractional part is ##j##. Then ##I## is uncountably infinite.

To avoid making that invalid assumption, use the quantifier ##\forall##, which means 'for all'.

Similarly for the rest of your proof: wherever you find yourself using ##n## or an ellipsis (that's the '...' you've written in the middle of lists), get rid of them by re-writing using ##\forall##.

When you come to do similar proofs for unions of indexed sets you will need to use the other quantifier ##\exists##, which means 'there exists' ('there is at least one').
thanks!

andrewkirk said:

by the way I am theMathNoob. can you ask the administrator to unban my account?. I promise I won't post silly ps4 questions.

Jairo Rojas said:
by the way I am theMathNoob. can you ask the administrator to unban my account?. I promise I won't post silly ps4 questions.
Thread closed for Moderation...

1. What is the purpose of proving set equality?

The purpose of proving set equality is to verify that two sets have exactly the same elements. This is important in mathematics and science because it ensures accuracy and validity in calculations and experiments.

2. What is the simple and effective method for proving set equality?

The simple and effective method for proving set equality is by using the subset and superset method. This method involves showing that each set is a subset and a superset of the other, meaning that all elements in one set are also in the other set.

3. How is the subset and superset method applied?

The subset and superset method is applied by first listing out all the elements in each set. Then, check if all the elements in one set are also in the other set. If this is true, then the first set is a subset of the second set. Next, check if all the elements in the second set are also in the first set. If this is true, then the second set is a subset of the first set. If both conditions are met, then the sets are equal.

4. What are the advantages of using the subset and superset method?

One advantage of using the subset and superset method is that it is a straightforward and systematic approach to proving set equality. It also allows for a clear understanding of which elements are present in both sets and which are unique to each set. Additionally, this method can be easily applied to larger sets with many elements.

5. Are there any limitations to using the subset and superset method?

One limitation of using the subset and superset method is that it only works for finite sets. This means that it cannot be used for infinite sets or sets with an infinite number of elements. Additionally, this method may not work for sets with complex or overlapping elements. In these cases, other methods such as Venn diagrams or algebraic methods may be more suitable for proving set equality.