Set Theory Q: Show A∩⋃ⁿᵢ=1Bᵢ = ⋃ⁿᵢ=1(A∩Bᵢ)

In summary, by De Morgan law, we have that x\in A\cap B_i\subseteq\bigcup_{n}^{i=1}\left(A \cap\right B_{i}).
jaejoon89
Letting A, B_1, B_2, ..., B_n subsets of X, then show

A\cap\bigcup_{n}^{i=1}B_{i} = \bigcup_{n}^{i=1}\left(A \cap\right B_{i})

----

Is it sufficient to say...

By De Morgan law, we have

\left(A\cap \right B_{i})\cup\left(A \right \cap\ B_{2})\cup\ --- \cup\left(A\cap \right\ B_{n}) = \bigcup_{i=1}^{n}\left(A\cap \right B_{i})

Is that sufficient, or is there a better/more complete way to do it?

Physics news on Phys.org
jaejoon89 said:
Letting [tex]A, B_1, B_2, ..., B_n[/tex] subsets of [tex]X[/tex], then show

[tex]A\cap\bigcup_{n}^{i=1}B_{i} = \bigcup_{n}^{i=1}\left(A \cap\right B_{i})[/tex]

----

Is it sufficient to say...

By De Morgan law, we have

[tex]\left(A\cap \right B_{i})\cup\left(A \right \cap\ B_{2})\cup\ --- \cup\left(A\cap \right\ B_{n}) = \bigcup_{i=1}^{n}\left(A\cap \right B_{i})[/tex]

Is that sufficient, or is there a better/more complete way to do it?

Well, that looks fine to me. But the other way to do it, if you prefer to avoid [tex]...[/tex] type notation, is to choose

[tex]x\in A\cap\bigcup_{n}^{i=1}B_{i}[/tex],

and say that therefore [tex]x\in A[/tex] and [tex]x\in B_i[/tex] for some [tex]i\in\mathbb{N}[/tex]. Therefore

[tex]x\in A\cap B_i\subseteq\bigcup_{n}^{i=1}\left(A \cap\right B_{i})[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] [tex]x\in\bigcup_{n}^{i=1}\left(A \cap\right B_{i})[/tex].

Then choose [tex]y\in\bigcup_{n}^{i=1}\left(A \cap\right B_{i})[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] [tex]y\in A\cap B_i\subseteq A\cap\bigcup_{n}^{i=1}B_{i}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] [tex]y\in A\cap\bigcup_{n}^{i=1}B_{i}[/tex].

So [tex]A\cap\bigcup_{n}^{i=1}B_{i}= A\cap\bigcup_{n}^{i=1}B_{i}[/tex]. [tex]\blacksquare[/tex]

Obviously, though, that way requires a bit more writing. It's a matter of preference which you wish to use; both are valid.

For the last line, don't you mean

[tex]
A\cap\bigcup_{n}^{i=1}B_{i}=\bigcup_{n}^{i=1}\left(A \cap\right B_{i})[/tex]

But A and B_1, B_2, ... , B_n are subsets of X, so does the Demorgan law really apply here (since A and B_i are in the same family)? I thought they had to be distinct.

Last edited:

Related to Set Theory Q: Show A∩⋃ⁿᵢ=1Bᵢ = ⋃ⁿᵢ=1(A∩Bᵢ)

1. What is the meaning of A∩⋃ⁿᵢ=1Bᵢ?

A∩⋃ⁿᵢ=1Bᵢ is the intersection of set A and the union of n sets, B1 to Bn. This means that it contains all elements that are common to set A and at least one of the sets B1 to Bn.

2. What does it mean to show A∩⋃ⁿᵢ=1Bᵢ = ⋃ⁿᵢ=1(A∩Bᵢ)?

To show A∩⋃ⁿᵢ=1Bᵢ = ⋃ⁿᵢ=1(A∩Bᵢ) means to prove that the intersection of set A and the union of n sets, B1 to Bn, is equivalent to the union of n sets, each of which is the intersection of set A and one of the sets B1 to Bn.

3. How is this property useful in set theory?

This property is useful in set theory as it allows us to manipulate and simplify expressions involving unions and intersections of sets. It also helps us to understand the relationships between different sets and their elements.

4. Can you provide an example to illustrate this property?

Sure, let's say we have set A = {1, 2, 3, 4} and sets B1 = {2, 4, 6}, B2 = {3, 4, 5}, and B3 = {1, 3, 5, 7}. The intersection of set A and the union of these three sets would be A∩⋃ⁿᵢ=1Bᵢ = {1, 3, 4}. On the other hand, the union of the intersections of set A with each of these three sets would be ⋃ⁿᵢ=1(A∩Bᵢ) = {1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7}. As you can see, both expressions contain the elements that are common to set A and at least one of the sets B1 to B3.

5. Are there any other important properties of set theory that are related to this property?

Yes, this property is closely related to the distributive property of set operations. Specifically, it is a special case of the distributive law for intersection over union, which states that A∩(B∪C) = (A∩B)∪(A∩C). This property also plays a role in the proof of the De Morgan's laws for set operations.