• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Set theory/topology proof

i want to prove that given a set K in G that is closed and a set F in K that is closed, then K is closed in G. K, F, and G are all topological spaces.

so to reword the problem i instead want to show that given G-K is open in G and K-F is open in K show that G-F is open in G. so since G is a topological space and K is a subspace of G, i endow K with the subspace topology. then there exists some open set O in G such that any open subset of K such as K-F = O ∩ K. then F = K - (O∩K) then i drew myself a picture and found that F also equals (G-O)∩K which works because G-F = G-(G-O) ∪ (G-K) = O U (G-K) and since O is open in G and (G-K) is open in G therefore the union of those 2 sets is also open in G and G-F is then open in G which means F is closed in G.

i wish to know that in these types of proofs, is it common to have to draw pictures in order to continue? i was stuck at F = K - (O∩K) for a while until i drew a picture and saw that F = (G-O)∩K which i could take the complement of since it was a subset of G. my question is could F = (G-O)∩K be derived from F = K - (O∩K) or any of the other information i was given, without having to draw pictures to derive it? or is drawing pictures the usual way of going through these set theory types of proofs. thanks.

Answers and Replies

lanedance
Homework Helper
i want to prove that given a set K in G that is closed and a set F in K that is closed, then K is closed in G. K, F, and G are all topological spaces.
so haven't you said K is closed in G already? and you want to show K is closed in G?

do you mean:
- F is closed in K
- K is closed in G
show F is closed in G

oh whoops. i made a typo there. yes you are correct. if K in G is closed and F in K is closed i want to show that F in G is closed.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The most direct way to show F is closed in G is to show that its complement is open. Let H be the complement of F in G. Of course, The complement of F in K is just H intersect K.

The topology on K is the topology of G restricted to K. That is, every open set in K is equal to a set open in G intersect K.

thanks! your proof was a lot more concise than mines.