1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set Thoery Countable Sets

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let A be a set of positive real numbers. Assume that there is a bound b such that the sum of any finite subset of A is less than b. Show that A is countable.

3. The attempt at a solution

So, my first question is what would be a better approach? Trying to find a function from the natural numbers to A or supposing that A is not countable and deriving a contradiction.

I'm a little stumped on how to start the construction of such a function.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For all natural numbers n, consider the set of all elements of A that are greater than 1/n, call it A_n. That's a hint. Think about it.

4. Apr 18, 2008 #3
    Well, eventually all the A_n's will capture every element of A, its an increasing sequence.

I guess I could argue that each A_n is finite since if it werent it proabably would be possible to find some finite subset of A_n who'se sum is greater then b.

Since A = the union of A_n's then the cardinlaity of A is countable since its the union of countably many countable sets.

Only problem I have with this argument is I'm not sure how to show with rigor that A_n must be countable or rather (finite).

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  5. Apr 18, 2008 #4
    Thanks, I think I got my proof.

If A_n is infinite then we can find a finite subset of A_n with cardinality m*n where m > b. m,n are natural numbers.

Thus the sum of the subset must be bounded by b. But each element is greater then 1/n thus the sum is greater then (1/n)m*n = m > b which is a contradiction. Thus A_n must be finite.

6. Apr 18, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nice use of the hint.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?