Sets and Relations (just needs checking please)

In summary, a set is a collection of distinct objects or elements, while a relation is a connection or link between two sets. Sets are used to organize and group objects, while relations are used to describe the relationship between those objects. Some examples of sets and relations include colors and numbers for sets, and "is the parent of" and "is a factor of" for relations. In science, sets and relations are used to organize data, describe patterns and relationships, and make predictions in fields such as mathematics, computer science, and physics.
Natasha1
MY WORK FOLLOWS BELOW THE QUESTIONS

Let AxB be the set of ordered pairs (a,b) where a and b belong to the set of natural numbers N.

A relation p: AxB ----> AxB is defined by: (a,b)p(c,d) <-----> a+d = b+c

As p is an equivalence relation there are associated equivalence classes.

(iv) Find all the ordered pairs in the equivalence class of (2,6). Why could this equivalence class be identified with the integer -4?

(v) Give the equivalence classes (as sets of ordered pairs) defined by p for each of the integers: 0, -1 and +1

(vi) Consider two general ordered pairs, (a,b) and (c,d). If addition is defined by (a,b) + (c,d) = (a+c, b+d) and multiplication is defined by (a,b) x (c,d) = (ac+bd, ad+bc), show that these definitions provide a way of demonstrating that (+1) + (-1) = 0 and (-1) x (-1) = (+1)

HERE IS MY WORK

(iv) The ordered pairs of the equivalence class (2,6) are infinite i.e. (4,8) or (6,10) so to find the general term let's write the condition as follows: a - b = c - d (so that the values of one pair appear on the left and the values of the other on the right). Here a - b = 2 - 6 = -4. Therefore any pair (c,d) with c-d = -4 (or d-c = 4) is also related.

(v) The set of ordered pairs are:

0 ----------> (a,a) where b=a

-1 ---------> (a-1, a) where b=a+1 or should I write like this instead (a, a+1)? Not sure let me know

+1 ---------> (a+1, a) where b=a-1 or should I write like this instead (a, a-1)? Not sure let me know

(vi) Let's consider 2 pairs say (2,3) and (6,7) which are as seen previously have an integer of -1 then if the multiplication of two orderd pairs is defined by (a,b) x (c,d) = (ac+bd, ad+bc) then

(2,3) x (6,7) = (12+21,14+18) = (33,32) which is has as seen in the previous question an integer of +1

Hence -1 x -1 = +1

Again, if we choose 1 pair say (33, 32) with an integer of +1 and the pair (5,6) with an integer value of -1 then the addition of two ordered pairs is defined by (a,b) + (c,d) = (a+c, b+d) and we get

(33,32) + (5,6) = (33+5, 32+6) = (38,38) which has an integer value of 0

Hence +1 + -1 = 0

Please correct any of my mistakes anyone... many thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, those are correct. That is, by the way, a standard way of defining the integers given the natural numbers.
If (a,b), with a> b, is in an equivalence class, then all members of the equivalence class, (x,y) have x-y= a- b and we associate that "integer" (equivalence class) with the natural number a-b.
If (a,b), with a< b, is in an equivalence class, then all members of teh equivalence class, (x,y) have y-x= b-a and we associate that "integer" with
-(b-a).
If an equivalence class contains (a,a), then all members of the equivalence class (x,y) have x= y and we associate that "integer" with 0.

1. What is a set?

A set is a collection of distinct objects or elements. These objects can be anything, from numbers to colors to people.

2. What is a relation?

A relation is a connection or link between two sets, where the elements of one set are related to the elements of the other set.

3. What is the difference between a set and a relation?

A set is a collection of objects, while a relation is a connection between two sets. Sets are used to organize and group objects, while relations are used to describe the relationship between those objects.

4. What are some examples of sets and relations?

A set could be a set of colors (red, blue, green) or a set of numbers (1, 2, 3). A relation could be "is the parent of" between two sets of people or "is a factor of" between two sets of numbers.

5. How are sets and relations used in science?

Sets and relations are used in various fields of science such as mathematics, computer science, and physics. They help to organize and analyze data, describe patterns and relationships, and make predictions based on those relationships.