What Are the Properties of Binary Relations in Sets?

In summary, the conversation discusses binary relations in sets and provides examples of relations with different properties, including reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. The cardinality of a relation with the given properties is also discussed.
thomas49th
Hi, I'm struggling about with binary relations in sets. Can somebody check over and answer my questions about these sets:

Given set A = {1,2,3}

Provide one example each of a relation with the following properties where the cardinality of the relationship should be at least one in all cases:

(i) {(1,1),(2,2),(3,3),(2,3)} this is reflexive because all elements of A act upon itself it's no symmetrical as there exists no (3,2). I don't know whether it's transitive though as (2,3) is made from (2,2) and (3,3) so doesn't that make it transitive?
I ask whether the cardinality of (i) is 4 or 8?

(ii) Transitive but not reflexive or symmetric:
{(1,1),(2,2),(1,2)} it's not reflexive as not all elements for A act upon themselves, it's not symmetric as there is no (2,1). It's transitive though because (1,1) and (2,2) form (1,2).

(iii) Symmetric but not transitive or reflexive:
{(1,1),(2,2),(1,2),(2,1)}
Symmetric as (1,2) and (2,1) not reflexive as no (3,3) BUT what about transitivity? doesn't (1,1) and (2,2) make (1,2)?

I will post more up later once these are sorted.

Thanks
Thomas

Physics news on Phys.org
For (i), the cardinality is 4. For (ii), it is transitive as (1,1) and (2,2) make (1,2). For (iii), it is not transitive because (1,1) and (2,2) do not make (1,2).

1. What is a binary relation?

A binary relation is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two sets of elements. It is represented as a set of ordered pairs, where the first element in each pair belongs to the first set and the second element belongs to the second set.

2. What are the different types of binary relations?

There are several types of binary relations, including reflexive, symmetric, antisymmetric, and transitive relations. A reflexive relation is one where every element is related to itself. A symmetric relation is one where if a is related to b, then b is also related to a. An antisymmetric relation is one where if a is related to b and b is related to a, then a = b. A transitive relation is one where if a is related to b and b is related to c, then a is also related to c.

3. How are binary relations represented?

Binary relations are represented in various ways, including as a table, a graph, or a matrix. In a table, the elements of the first set are listed as rows and the elements of the second set are listed as columns, with the relation between them indicated in the corresponding cell. In a graph, the elements of both sets are represented as nodes, and the relation between them is shown as an arrow connecting the nodes. In a matrix, the elements of both sets are listed as rows and columns, and the relation between them is represented as a 1 or 0 in the corresponding cell.

4. What is the difference between a function and a binary relation?

A function is a type of binary relation where each element in the first set is related to exactly one element in the second set. In other words, the first element in each ordered pair must be unique. In contrast, a general binary relation does not have this restriction, and an element in the first set can be related to multiple elements in the second set.

5. How are binary relations used in real life?

Binary relations have many real-life applications, such as in computer science, economics, and social sciences. They can be used to represent relationships between people, objects, or events. For example, binary relations can be used to model social networks, where each person is related to their friends or acquaintances. In economics, binary relations can be used to represent consumer preferences or supply and demand relationships. In computer science, binary relations are used in databases to relate different types of data.