Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Setting the signature?

1. Sep 1, 2008 #1
    Hi,

i want set my signature, but I failed :( Is this feature disabled, or am I to incompetent to find the option? :confused:

greetings

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2008 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Signatures, avatars, etc. are available only to Contributors, Science Advisors and Homework Helpers.

If you would like to contribute, please click the "upgrade" link on the top left.

4. Sep 1, 2008 #3
    Ah, okay.

Could you explain please, what this means?
    Pay? Or what exactly is this upgrade?

greetings

5. Sep 1, 2008 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Sep 1, 2008 #5
    ah, thx.

I guess I will join this community :smile:

One Question. Who is Admin of this Board? I want ask him something.

greetings

7. Sep 1, 2008 #6

Defennder

Homework Helper

Don't bother PMing him. He's Greg, but he gets so many PMs and have so much to do it's unlikely that he'll see your PM. Instead post it in this forum, unless it's something personal.

8. Sep 1, 2008 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The 'Staff' button on the top bar lists all the admin, mentors, HH's and SA's.

9. Sep 1, 2008 #8
    thanks. I thougt "staff" is a synonym for advertising.
    it is a list of the team. Very intresting :smile:

10. Sep 1, 2008 #9

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really? I don't know how you arrived at that.

11. Sep 6, 2008 #10
    Yes, it looks like, that the Admins don't have time. I wrote some pn's but without response. This isn't bad because with 110681 members, it is okay if a admin hasn't got much time in a forum :)

So I write it here and hope, that a Admin will read it, or a moderator will contact an admin.

Could cou delete this account "Theoretiker" please?
    I created a new one and so, I don't need this anymore.

I did this, because I will upgrade the profile and if I pay for a forum, I want another name, because it would be nice, if I use the same username, in all forums I am active,

Thanks

all the best
    Theoretiker

12. Sep 6, 2008 #11

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Actually, I think it is possible for an admin to change the name of an existing account, so you don't have to create a new one. But only Greg or chroot can do it.

13. Sep 6, 2008 #12
    but the new account already exist, so it should not be possible to change the name, because this one is setted :)

Thats why deleting of "Theoretiker" would be the best solution.

greetings

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  14. Sep 6, 2008 #13

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We don't normally delete accounts because threads you've posted in would cease to make sense. You should have really paid more attention to the rules before you went and made another account. Users are only allowed one account.

15. Sep 6, 2008 #14

Defennder

Homework Helper

Just a side question, how do you tell if a user's account has been deleted? Would all his posts/threads vanish?

16. Sep 6, 2008 #15

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As others have said, as a rule we don't delete accounts. The issue has been flagged up with the staff, and I'm sure Greg will contact you to advise.

As above, we don't delete accounts very often. Sometimes accounts are closed, which means that a member's posts remain but their name gets greyed out. The other way of closing an account is to ban them.

17. Sep 6, 2008 #16
    No, in V-Bulletin, if a user was deleted, the posts and threads are kept, but the username will changed to "guest", or it keeps the name, but it exist no profile to the post.

At cristo:

Well, then close, or ban Theoretiker. It ist the same, in some way.

greetings

18. Sep 6, 2008 #17

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I started a thread on this last night in one of the staff forums.

Firstly, it is against Physics Forums rules

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374
    to register a second account. This prevents things like good cop/bad cop, multi-part scams, etc.

Secondly, if we allowed users to ditch accounts and start new ones, then things like infractions (which you don't have) and posting history would disappear. Because of this, I support changing Theoretiker to Herbststurm, but I don't support deleting Theoretiker and starting afresh with Herbststurm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?