Setting up a galvanic cell (1.25V)

In summary, the conversation discusses the reduction potentials and use of the Nernst equation to calculate the potential of a reaction. The chosen reactions are I2 (s) + 2e- = 2I- (aq) with a reduction potential of +0.53 and Zn2+ (aq) + 2e- = Zn (s) with a reduction potential of -0.76. The equation E = 1.29 - (0.0257/2)(ln (2.24/0.1) is used to calculate the potential, resulting in a value of 1.2500. The speaker also asks about using I and Zn ions, and whether KCl would be a
nautica
This is what I have chosen

I2 (s) + 2e- = 2I- (aq) reduction potential is +0.53
Zn2+ (aq) + 2e- = Zn (s) reduction potential is -0.76

using nerntz I get

E = 1.29 - (0.0257/2)(ln (2.24/0.1)
E= 1.2500

What would could I use to get the I and Zn ions? Also, would the Zn be the solution that should be 2.24 molar or the I?

Would KCl be a good salt bridge?

Thanks
Nautica

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I am also finding E not, Delta G not, and K

I calulated
Enot=1.29V
DeltaGnot = -nFEcell = -248,944J
and for K I used 1.29V=0.0257V/2e- lnK and came up with 3.97 x 10^43 but this sounds like an extremely large number.

thanks
nautica

Thank you for sharing your chosen setup for the galvanic cell. It seems like you have chosen a reaction between solid iodine (I2) and zinc ions (Zn2+) to generate a voltage of 1.25V. Your calculations using the Nernst equation look correct, and the resulting voltage is within the expected range for this type of cell.

To get the ions for your cell, you can use solid iodine (I2) and zinc sulfate (ZnSO4) as your reactants. The zinc sulfate will dissociate in water to release Zn2+ ions, while the solid iodine will react with the Zn2+ ions to form I- ions.

As for the concentrations, it is up to you to decide. You can use a 2.24 M solution of either zinc sulfate or iodine, or you can use different concentrations for each reactant. Just make sure to keep the ratio of reactants the same as the balanced equation to maintain the correct voltage.

KCl can be a good choice for a salt bridge in this cell, as it is a common and inert electrolyte. It will allow for the transfer of ions between the two half-cells without reacting with them. Other options for a salt bridge could include potassium nitrate (KNO3) or sodium sulfate (Na2SO4).

I hope this helps answer your questions. Happy experimenting!

Related to Setting up a galvanic cell (1.25V)

1. How do I set up a galvanic cell?

To set up a galvanic cell, you will need two different metals, such as zinc and copper, and a salt bridge. Connect the two metals with a wire and submerge them in an electrolyte solution. Place the salt bridge between the two half-cells to allow ions to flow between them.

2. What is the purpose of a galvanic cell?

A galvanic cell is used to convert chemical energy into electrical energy. It is commonly used in batteries to provide power for electronic devices.

3. What is the standard voltage of a galvanic cell?

The standard voltage of a galvanic cell is 1.25V. This value is determined by the difference in reduction potentials of the two metals used in the cell.

4. How can I increase the voltage of a galvanic cell?

To increase the voltage of a galvanic cell, you can connect multiple cells in series. This will add the individual cell voltages together to create a higher overall voltage.

5. What is the difference between a galvanic cell and an electrolytic cell?

A galvanic cell produces electrical energy through a spontaneous redox reaction, while an electrolytic cell requires an external source of electrical energy to drive a non-spontaneous redox reaction. Additionally, the electrodes in a galvanic cell are made of different metals, while the electrodes in an electrolytic cell are usually made of the same metal.