Setting up wind power equipment

In summary, the individual is a beginner in the electrical field and is interested in utilizing wind power for their home. They are aware that they will need a converter to convert DC power from a wind turbine into usable AC power for their home. They also mention the need for a transformer and a circuit breaker box. They ask for a diagram and more information on how to connect everything and potentially disconnect from the grid. They are advised to do more research and gain a better understanding of power generation before attempting to set up a wind power system.
freenergy4us
I'm a beginner at this but I'm an aspiring student of the electrical field. Electrical engineer, electrician, electronics technician. I like it all.

My question is what equipment, other than what I know already, do I need to run as much of my house off of wind power?

Wind turbines or anything that spins basically.

I know I need a converter but I want to know why I need it besides the fact that it converts DC to AC. Just a little more explanation is all. I know a little about it.

Probably a transformer. Explain why.

A circuit breaker box. Explains itself.

And wires.

What else do I need? Is there a site that can show this in a diagram?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why don't you tell us a little more about what you already know - maybe provide some details and ask more specific questions?

your 'converter' and transformer are a single system called an inverter. and you need it because a wind turbine will generate DC power. you then use the DC output to charge a battery bank. the battery bank then feeds the inverter which you tie into your houses supply. you cannot just go to Walmart and buy a 5kw inverter and tie it in, you will need a GTI (grid tie-in) inverter or synchronous inverter. if you are in the states you will want to pick up a copy of the National Electric Code (NEC) and do some reading in there. i don't know what the regulations are pertaining to wind generation but I am sure there is a section in there and anything the NEC puts regulations in for, there is a good reason.

Okay I know only what I've read so far from websites etc. I'm looking for diagrams like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOLAR-HOME-KIT-PANELS-CONTROLLER-BATTERY-INVERTER-/380288742901?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588af9b5f5

And these pictures and videos are pretty good. http://mdpub.com/Wind_Turbine/

So why is it that some things need a converter and others don't like a solar water sprinkler?

I just need to know how to hook things up to get free wind power and disconnect from the grid completely if possible. But I think I may have found what I need, so thanks.

disconnecting from the grid entirely will prove difficult using a DIY generation 'kit'. and you will not do it with a $600 ebay kit. i have never looked into a solar sprinkler but it must be a DC sprinkler to not need an inverter. it sounds as if you do not know many of the principles behind what you are trying to do which makes it dangerous. also remaining on the grid could prove beneficial if you do end up generating sufficient power since any surplus energy you generate can be sold back to your power company.

do a little research on power generation and how wind/solar collectors work and maybe build a bench top prototype to gain some familiarity with what you are doing. you can find a lot of information on these topics on google.

1. How does wind power equipment work?

Wind power equipment works by capturing the kinetic energy of the wind and converting it into electrical energy. This is done through a process called "aerodynamic drag" or "aerodynamic lift" where the wind turns the blades of a turbine, which then spins a generator to produce electricity.

2. What is the best location for setting up wind power equipment?

The best location for setting up wind power equipment is an area with consistent and strong winds. This can be determined by conducting a wind resource assessment, which takes into account factors such as wind speed, direction, and turbulence. Additionally, areas with minimal obstructions and a large open space are ideal for maximizing wind energy production.

3. What is the maintenance required for wind power equipment?

Regular maintenance is necessary for wind power equipment to ensure optimal performance and longevity. This includes routine inspections, cleaning, and lubrication of moving parts. Additionally, major maintenance tasks such as blade replacements may be required every 5-10 years depending on the manufacturer's recommendations.

4. How much does it cost to set up wind power equipment?

The cost of setting up wind power equipment can vary depending on the size and location of the project. Generally, it can range from $1,000 to $3,000 per kilowatt of installed capacity. However, with government incentives and tax credits, the cost can be significantly reduced. It's also important to consider the long-term cost savings from using renewable energy sources.

5. What are the environmental benefits of using wind power equipment?

Using wind power equipment has numerous environmental benefits. It reduces the reliance on fossil fuels, which contribute to air pollution and climate change. It also conserves water resources, as wind energy does not require any water for its operation. Additionally, wind power is a renewable energy source, meaning it is continuously replenished by nature.