Shape of a free electron wave

In summary: So the shape of the electron wave is determined by the electron source and the shape of the electron source is determined by the shape of the diaphragm.
jaketodd
Gold Member
What is the shape of a free electron wave? Is it a sinusoidal plane wave like an EM wave? Does it expand laterally like an EM wave? I'm thinking the answers to these questions is yes because the double slit experiment works for electrons. But I'm not totally sure.

Thanks!

Jake

Physics news on Phys.org
Any linear combination of plane waves with different frequencies and wave vectors will be also a solution to the "free" Schroedinger equation. Actual solution is determined with the electron source (preparation device).

Bob_for_short said:
Any linear combination of plane waves with different frequencies and wave vectors will be also a solution to the "free" Schroedinger equation. Actual solution is determined with the electron source (preparation device).

So what are the possible shapes and electron sources? In particular, I'm interested in the shape of an electron wave from a standard electron emitter/gun (if there is a standard one) and from a particle accelerator.

Thank you!

Im interested in this question as well!

jaketodd said:
So what are the possible shapes and electron sources? In particular, I'm interested in the shape of an electron wave from a standard electron emitter/gun (if there is a standard one) and from a particle accelerator.
Thank you!

I am not an experimentalist. Think of electron wave as of a usual wave from some source. To obtain a "plane" wave you have to be far from the source, maybe limit the flux with some diaphragm, etc. I want to say that all the wave properties are applicable to the electron case.

A particle accelerator uses diaphragms so behind a diaphragm you have some plane wave with small diffraction due to the ratio (electron de Broglie wave-length)/(diaphragm width).

In particular, I'm interested in the shape of an electron wave from a standard electron emitter/gun (if there is a standard one) and from a particle accelerator.

The electrons in an accelerator have a well-defined momentum (and energy) , and so they are in momentum eigenstates to a good approximation, which means that they are plane waves [itex]\psi = e^{i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}}[/itex], especially on the length scales relevant for scattering in QM. The corrections which would arise by not treating the electrons as a plane wave are too small to be conceivably measured.

1. What is the shape of a free electron wave?

The shape of a free electron wave is a three-dimensional standing wave that resembles a spherical shell. This wave is known as the electron's wave function and describes the probability of finding the electron at a certain location in space.

2. How is the shape of a free electron wave determined?

The shape of a free electron wave is determined by solving the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons. The solution to this equation gives us the wave function, which determines the shape of the electron wave.

3. What factors can affect the shape of a free electron wave?

The shape of a free electron wave can be affected by external factors such as electric and magnetic fields, as well as the presence of other particles. These factors can alter the electron's energy and momentum, which in turn can change the shape of its wave function.

4. What is the significance of the shape of a free electron wave?

The shape of a free electron wave is significant because it provides information about the electron's behavior and properties. It helps us understand how electrons interact with other particles and how they are distributed in space. The shape of the wave function also plays a crucial role in determining the electronic structure and chemical properties of atoms and molecules.

5. Can the shape of a free electron wave be visualized?

While the shape of a free electron wave cannot be directly observed, it can be visualized through mathematical representations and computer simulations. These visualizations help us understand the complex behavior of electrons and their wave-like nature, which is essential in the study of quantum mechanics.