Shape of Light: Uncovering the Mystery

In summary, light does not have a definite shape like a tennis ball does, and it is both a wave and a particle, although it is not exactly one or the other. This can be confusing to understand, but we have created models to help us comprehend its behavior, such as the theory of QED. However, these models may not accurately describe the true nature of light and we may have yet to discover what light truly is.
Light particles are massless correct? If they are massless I don't think they can have a real shape. Light waves radiate and if you charted their path on paper or in a 3-d model that would have a shape... but I don't really know how one would answer that lol.

Science news on Phys.org
lightarrow said:
Ok. Now the question is: where is that single point? In the space between source and detector or at detector location?

At the detector. I usually like to say point-like just to be correct. For all intents and purposes particles are treated as point objects though it sometimes gets a bit murky when we talking about just how much of a point a particle truly is (like with the electron). But as Art Hobson is trying to point out, and Zee does this too in his text though others may not do so as explicitly, is that the QED light, or any quantum field, is not really made up of particles called photons. Instead, photons described the energy/momentum quanta that quantize the fields and occur in an interaction. What it comes down to is that quantum field theory treats all matter as fields. The classical particles that we are used to observing and measuring are simply the interaction of the fields with measurement. So in our macroscopic world, and our clumsy attempts at connecting with the quantum world, the observable effects of these quantum fields resembles how we think of a classical particle.

Born2bwire said:
At the detector. I usually like to say point-like just to be correct. For all intents and purposes particles are treated as point objects though it sometimes gets a bit murky when we talking about just how much of a point a particle truly is (like with the electron). But as Art Hobson is trying to point out, and Zee does this too in his text though others may not do so as explicitly, is that the QED light, or any quantum field, is not really made up of particles called photons. Instead, photons described the energy/momentum quanta that quantize the fields and occur in an interaction. What it comes down to is that quantum field theory treats all matter as fields. The classical particles that we are used to observing and measuring are simply the interaction of the fields with measurement. So in our macroscopic world, and our clumsy attempts at connecting with the quantum world, the observable effects of these quantum fields resembles how we think of a classical particle.
Thanks.