File Sharing Between Madrake and WinXP: Setup Guide

• Thread starter Severfeelor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File
In summary, the File Sharing Between Madrake and WinXP: Setup Guide explains the steps necessary to set up file sharing between a computer running Madrake Linux and another running Windows XP. The guide covers how to configure network settings, create shared folders, and set permissions to allow access to files between the two systems. It also includes troubleshooting tips and common errors to avoid. With this guide, users can easily share files and collaborate between these two operating systems.
Severfeelor
How can i shaer filesbetween madrake and winxp ? i dunno. how to set up file shareing betw them by a cable, not a printer cable ? Thanks a lot.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You need to set up Samba on your Mandrake box. Maybe http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/answers.php?action=viewarticle&artid=395 can help.

You also setup an ftp server on linux and transfer files that way. If you have sshd already running ( ps -A |grep sshd ), then you should just be able to use an sftp client on windows to send and receive files to and from the linux box.

dduardo said:
You also setup an ftp server on linux and transfer files that way. If you have sshd already running ( ps -A |grep sshd ), then you should just be able to use an sftp client on windows to send and receive files to and from the linux box.

Heh, I didn't realize you could use SSH with FTP. This is useful for me, thanks dduardo! :smile:

1. How do I set up file sharing between Mandrake and Windows XP?

To set up file sharing between Mandrake and Windows XP, you will need to make sure both computers are connected to the same network. Then, you will need to enable file sharing on both devices. On Mandrake, you can do this by going to the Control Center and selecting the "Sharing & Security" option. On Windows XP, you can enable file sharing by going to the Control Panel and selecting the "Network Connections" option. From there, you can right-click on the network connection and choose "Properties". Then, click on the "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" option and click "OK".

2. What type of network connection do I need for file sharing between Mandrake and Windows XP?

You can use any type of network connection for file sharing between Mandrake and Windows XP, such as Ethernet, Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth. The important thing is that both devices are connected to the same network and have file sharing enabled.

3. Can I share files between Mandrake and Windows XP without using a network?

No, you cannot share files between Mandrake and Windows XP without using a network. File sharing requires a network connection in order for the devices to communicate with each other.

4. Are there any security risks involved with file sharing between Mandrake and Windows XP?

Yes, there are potential security risks with file sharing between Mandrake and Windows XP. It is important to ensure that both devices have strong passwords and that file sharing is only enabled for specific folders or files that you want to share. It is also recommended to have a firewall in place to protect your network from any potential threats.

5. Can I share files between Mandrake and Windows XP if they are running different operating systems?

Yes, you can share files between Mandrake and Windows XP even if they are running different operating systems. As long as both devices are connected to the same network and have file sharing enabled, they should be able to communicate and share files with each other.