Share price probability homework

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to approximate the probability of a certain stock being up more than 10 after 700 time periods, assuming that the changes in successive time periods are independent. The person is asking for help in adapting their solution for a similar question and mentions using the trinomial distribution.
motherh
Hi, I'm trying to answer the following question:

In each time period, a certain stock either goes down 1
with probability 0.39, remains the same with probability 0.20, or goes up
1 with probability 0.41. Assuming that the changes in successive time periods
are independent, approximate the probability that, after 700 time
periods, the stock will be up more than 10 from where it started.

I managed to answer a similar question where either the price goes up or it goes down but you are multiplying by a percentage rather than adding/subtracting. Any idea on how I could adapt my solution to this question?

If s(t) is the share price at time t and

X[itex]_{i}[/itex] = -1 (if share goes down), 0 (share stays same), 1 (if share goes up)

then would I be right in saying

s(700) = s(0) + [itex]\sum{X_{i}}[/itex] (sum from 1 to 700) ?

Would I then be looking for the probability

Pr{s(700)-s(0) = [itex]\sum{X_{i}}[/itex] > 10}?

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Share price probability homework

1. What is the purpose of "Share price probability homework"?

"Share price probability homework" is designed to help students understand the concept of probability in relation to stock prices. It allows students to practice calculating the likelihood of a stock's price movement based on various factors and make informed decisions when it comes to investing in the stock market.

2. How is "Share price probability homework" different from regular probability homework?

"Share price probability homework" focuses specifically on applying probability concepts to stock prices, whereas regular probability homework covers a broader range of scenarios. This homework also requires students to incorporate real-world data and market trends, making it more practical and relevant for those interested in finance and investing.

3. What skills will I develop by completing "Share price probability homework"?

By completing this homework, you will develop critical thinking skills, data analysis skills, and a deeper understanding of probability and its application to the stock market. You will also improve your ability to make informed decisions based on data and market trends.

4. Is "Share price probability homework" only for students studying finance?

No, this homework can be beneficial for anyone interested in learning about probability and its application to the stock market. While it may be more relevant for those studying finance, it can also be a useful tool for individuals looking to invest in the stock market or simply gain a better understanding of how stock prices are affected by probability.

5. How can I use the knowledge gained from "Share price probability homework" in the real world?

The knowledge gained from this homework can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as making investment decisions, analyzing market trends, and understanding the likelihood of a stock's price movement. It can also help individuals make more informed decisions when it comes to managing their personal finances and investments.