Help with Shear Modulus Research

In summary, the conversation was about finding information on the definition of the shear modulus. The modulus of rigidity is defined as the ratio of shear force to shear strain, and is related to the modulus of elasticity by a specific equation. The person was looking for the person who originally defined this concept for a report, but it seems they were unable to find any background information.
RCulling
I was wondering if anyone could please point me in the direction of some background info on who (and why) someone defined the equations definition of the shear modulus, I've searched in google and wiki and havnt found anything useful. Just a link or something would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
It is similarly defined as the modulus of elasticity

Modulus of Rigidity = Shear force/ Shear strain

It is also related to the modulus of elasticity E by

[tex]G=\frac{E}{2(1+\nu)}[/tex] where v is the Poisson's ratio.

thanks :) but I was more wanting the person that defined it, I've to write a report on it, and need some background info... Which I can't seem to find

In that case, I do not know as well. Sorry.

All good :) thanks

1. What is shear modulus?

Shear modulus, also known as modulus of rigidity, is a measure of a material's resistance to shear stress. It is defined as the ratio of shear stress to shear strain.

2. Why is shear modulus important in research?

Shear modulus is an important property to understand in materials science and engineering research. It helps to predict how a material will behave under shear stress and is crucial for designing structures that can withstand forces such as wind and earthquakes.

3. How is shear modulus calculated?

Shear modulus is calculated by dividing the shear stress by the shear strain. It is typically measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

4. How does shear modulus differ from Young's modulus?

Shear modulus and Young's modulus are both measures of a material's elasticity, but they measure different types of stress. Shear modulus measures a material's resistance to shear stress, while Young's modulus measures its resistance to tensile or compressive stress.

5. What factors can affect the shear modulus of a material?

The shear modulus of a material can be affected by factors such as temperature, composition, and microstructure. It can also vary depending on the type of stress applied and the duration of the stress.