1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shear stress on a bar with a bend

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have encountered this problem several times in class, but have never really understood it. There is a solid round bar that is fixed on one end, and that bends 90 degrees a ways down. At the free end of the bar there are forces applied in each Cartesian direction.
    Like this: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3448/4559398860_d6c6e250a0_o.jpg"

The question is to determine the shear stress [tex]\tau[/tex]xy at point A (on the outer edge of the tube, radially parallel to the z-axis).

2. Relevant equations

Torsion - [tex]\tau[/tex] = Tc/J
    Beam - [tex]\tau[/tex] = VQ/It

3. The attempt at a solution

I plug in my values in the above equations, and add them up depending on the shear direction, but I don't seem to get the right answer.

I'm hoping someone can help me with the general idea for this type of problem or point me to a website that explains it clearly.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What values are you using for the torque and the shear force?

4. Apr 27, 2010 #3
    Here is what I tried:

Fx=500lbf
    Fy=-800lbf
    T=Fy14in
    c=r (radius)
    J=pi*r4/4

which gives torsion shear=-16900psi

V=Fy
    Q=y'A'
    y'=r
    A'=pi*r2/2
    t=r

with beam shear=-2844psi

total shear (xy)=torsion shear-beam shear

It's been a while since I was actually in Mechanics of Materials, so that might be way wrong though :).

5. Apr 27, 2010 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's been a while for me too, but isn't y' the distance to the centroid of the top or bottom half of the cross section?

6. Apr 27, 2010 #5
    ah, yes you are right. Unfortunately I don't have the correct answer in front of me anymore so I can't check if that's all that is wrong.

Hopefully the other stuff looks right though?

7. Apr 27, 2010 #6

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yep, the torsion part looks good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook