1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shearing/Bending diagrams, forces acting on beam

1. Mar 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    - Compute the reactions at the supports
    - Draw complete shearing force and bending moment diagrams
    - Determine magnitude and location of maximum absolute value of shearing force and bending moment
    - Use free body diagram approach to determine internal shearing force and bending moment at any specified point in a beam
    - Write equations for all segments of shearing force and bending moment diagrams

2. Relevant equations
    M = FD

3. The attempt at a solution
    uv37n.jpg

I didn't attempt to finish it since I sorta got stuck. I was looking for examples in the book for how to do this and can't seem to find. Am I even close to correct on either the shearing or bending diagram? thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2012 #2

OldEngr63

Gold Member

Your loading diagram shows two point loads, yet your shear diagram shows three discontinuities. Why?

Think this one through, and when you do, you should be on the way to a solution.

4. Mar 4, 2012 #3
    alright, so when you have a beam tacked onto a wall as in this example, is it treated the same way as though it was just sitting on a pivot on that end? thanks

5. Mar 4, 2012 #4
    oku3hf.jpg

an improvement I hope, still don't know how to approach the bending diagram of moments.

6. Mar 4, 2012 #5

OldEngr63

Gold Member

Your shear diagram shows a pair of steps, so there should be two different slopes evident on your bending moment diagram. I can't really tell if you tried to show that or not, but it is not very clear on your diagram. The left most slope should be quite a bit higher (magnitude) than the one of the right.

The built-in end does support a moment, unlike the pined end, and that is why the moment diagram does not go to zero on the left end. It comes out at the wall moment value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook