1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ship Berthing Energy Forces On Piles / Fenders

1. Apr 11, 2014 #1
    I am looking into the forces as a result of berthing energy from a ship on a pontoon. The situation i am looking at is a simple pontoon of about 10 m long with mono piles on each end.

I am assuming a ship impacts the pontoon at mid span between the piles.

The pontoon has fendering on its berthing face that has the potential to deflect 0.2 m as a result of berthing impact.

My problem which i cannot get my head around is that the formula I am using (See below) gives me a berthing energy in Kn M.

1 - How can i translate this KN m so as i can get a force so i can then translate these forces into the piles to check that they can resist the load

2 - How do i calculate the reduction in force as a result of the deflection of the Fenders ?

The equation i am using for berthing impact is as follows:

0.5 x Mass x Velocity 2

My Attempt

Mass = 5000 kg
    Velocity = 2 m/s

Force
    = 0.5 x 5000 x 2
    = 5000 kg.m

From this point onwards I cant get my head around how this kg * value will translate into a force.

Please help !

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2014 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

tayre89: The force applied to the pontoon midspan would be, P = m1*(v1^2)/y, where m1 = ship mass, v1 = ship velocity, and y = pontoon deflection. Give it a try.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted