SHM: Phase Changes & Peter G.'s Experience

• Thread starter Peter G.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phase Shm
In summary, Peter G. received a sheet to study Phase Difference as part of his SHM lessons. He had doubts about the third diagram and asked for clarification on what was meant by "ahead" and "behind." After some discussion and a comparison to diagrams on a website, it was determined that the last diagram starts an eighth of a cycle before the first diagram and is therefore behind in terms of phase difference.
Peter G.
Hi,

As part of my SHM lessons, I got this sheet today to study Phase Difference. I tried drawing what was asked and I have the impression I got the first two graphs correct. However, I am in doubt regarding the third, mostly I guess, with differentiating what is meant by ahead and behind :confused:

Thanks,
Peter G.

(The drawings are really sketches until I understand their shapes properly)

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 355
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter G. said:
However, I am in doubt regarding the third, mostly I guess, with differentiating what is meant by ahead and behind :confused:
Ahead and behind don't distinguish much when the phase difference is pi.

But your diagrams look OK.

For the last one, I should really start then showing the curve at the top, correct?

Peter G. said:
For the last one, I should really start then showing the curve at the top, correct?
I don't understand what you mean. I thought that last one was for something pi/4 behind the top diagram?

Yeah, that's what it asks for. So that means it starts like, an eighth of a cycle later? Do you think you could maybe draw a rough diagram on something like paint? I have a hard time conveying this kind of stuff in words :redface:

Peter G. said:
Yeah, that's what it asks for. So that means it starts like, an eighth of a cycle later?
The diagram would look pretty much like what you drew. It starts an eighth of a cycle 'before' the first diagram. Interpret that like this: At t = 0 the top diagram is already at the peak, while the last diagram takes an eighth of a cycle before it gets to the peak. It's behind the other.

Ah ok, it's what I thought initially. Thanks a lot for your patience. :smile:

My pleasure. It's tricky stuff.

Check out the diagrams on this page; they may help. (The topic is not SHM, but the principle is the same.) http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_1/5.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is SHM and how does it relate to phase changes?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion, which is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. Phase changes refer to the transition of a substance from one state of matter to another (e.g. solid to liquid). In SHM, the displacement and velocity of an object oscillate between two extreme values, similar to how a substance transitions between solid and liquid states.

2. Can you explain how Peter G.'s experience relates to SHM and phase changes?

Peter G.'s experience is an example of how SHM and phase changes can occur simultaneously. As he jumps on the diving board, his body experiences SHM as it oscillates up and down, reaching its maximum displacement and velocity at opposite ends. At the same time, the water beneath him is experiencing a phase change from liquid to gas as it is displaced by his body and then quickly returns to its original state.

3. How does energy play a role in SHM and phase changes?

In SHM, energy is constantly being transferred between kinetic (motion) and potential (stored) energy as the object oscillates. In phase changes, energy is also involved as heat is either added or removed from a substance to initiate the change. For example, when Peter G. jumps on the diving board, his kinetic energy is transferred to potential energy at the highest point of his jump, and then back to kinetic energy as he lands. In the water, energy in the form of heat is added to cause it to change from liquid to gas.

4. What are some real-life applications of SHM and phase changes?

SHM is commonly seen in pendulums, springs, and musical instruments. In phase changes, examples include boiling water, melting ice, and evaporating sweat. These concepts also have practical uses in industries such as refrigeration, air conditioning, and cooking.

5. How can understanding SHM and phase changes benefit our daily lives?

Understanding SHM and phase changes can help us better understand and predict the behavior of objects and substances in our everyday lives. For example, knowing how SHM works can help us design more efficient and stable structures, while understanding phase changes can help us cook our food to the desired level or prevent our pipes from bursting in freezing temperatures.