Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: SHM - Phase Changes

1. Jun 17, 2011 #1
    Hi,

As part of my SHM lessons, I got this sheet today to study Phase Difference. I tried drawing what was asked and I have the impression I got the first two graphs correct. However, I am in doubt regarding the third, mostly I guess, with differentiating what is meant by ahead and behind :confused:

Thanks,
    Peter G.

(The drawings are really sketches until I understand their shapes properly)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Ahead and behind don't distinguish much when the phase difference is pi.

But your diagrams look OK.

4. Jun 17, 2011 #3
    For the last one, I should really start then showing the curve at the top, correct?

5. Jun 17, 2011 #4

Doc Al

I don't understand what you mean. I thought that last one was for something pi/4 behind the top diagram?

6. Jun 17, 2011 #5
    Yeah, that's what it asks for. So that means it starts like, an eighth of a cycle later? Do you think you could maybe draw a rough diagram on something like paint? I have a hard time conveying this kind of stuff in words :redface:

7. Jun 17, 2011 #6

Doc Al

The diagram would look pretty much like what you drew. It starts an eighth of a cycle 'before' the first diagram. Interpret that like this: At t = 0 the top diagram is already at the peak, while the last diagram takes an eighth of a cycle before it gets to the peak. It's behind the other.

8. Jun 17, 2011 #7
    Ah ok, it's what I thought initially. Thanks a lot for your patience. :smile:

9. Jun 17, 2011 #8

Doc Al

My pleasure. It's tricky stuff.

Check out the diagrams on this page; they may help. (The topic is not SHM, but the principle is the same.) http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_1/5.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook