1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SHM - Phase Changes

1. Jun 17, 2011 #1
    Hi,

As part of my SHM lessons, I got this sheet today to study Phase Difference. I tried drawing what was asked and I have the impression I got the first two graphs correct. However, I am in doubt regarding the third, mostly I guess, with differentiating what is meant by ahead and behind :confused:

Thanks,
    Peter G.

(The drawings are really sketches until I understand their shapes properly)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Ahead and behind don't distinguish much when the phase difference is pi.

But your diagrams look OK.

4. Jun 17, 2011 #3
    For the last one, I should really start then showing the curve at the top, correct?

5. Jun 17, 2011 #4

Doc Al

I don't understand what you mean. I thought that last one was for something pi/4 behind the top diagram?

6. Jun 17, 2011 #5
    Yeah, that's what it asks for. So that means it starts like, an eighth of a cycle later? Do you think you could maybe draw a rough diagram on something like paint? I have a hard time conveying this kind of stuff in words :redface:

7. Jun 17, 2011 #6

Doc Al

The diagram would look pretty much like what you drew. It starts an eighth of a cycle 'before' the first diagram. Interpret that like this: At t = 0 the top diagram is already at the peak, while the last diagram takes an eighth of a cycle before it gets to the peak. It's behind the other.

8. Jun 17, 2011 #7
    Ah ok, it's what I thought initially. Thanks a lot for your patience. :smile:

9. Jun 17, 2011 #8

Doc Al

My pleasure. It's tricky stuff.

Check out the diagrams on this page; they may help. (The topic is not SHM, but the principle is the same.) http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_1/5.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook