SHM - Equation for Displacement

In summary: I don't understand why angles have to be inputted in degrees or radians, but I understand that ω has something to do with the frequency of the oscillator.
Peter G.
Hi,

I just learned my first equation today in SHM:

x = xo cos (ω * t)​

Firstly, is it ok if I change the "x =" part for a "y="? I get a bit confused since, from what I understand, we want to find the vertical distance from the x-axis and that would be the y output of a function. (x makes me think of the input)

I understand the first x, representing the displacement - stretching the graph parallel to the y axis.

Now, the (ω * t) part is what confuses me. Those values will determine where in the curve we want to find the displacement, correct? If so, how do the ω and time represent which part in the curve we are looking for, like the angles we input in our calculators do?

I hope I conveyed my doubts in a clear enough way,

Thanks,
Peter G.

My proble

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter G. said:
Firstly, is it ok if I change the "x =" part for a "y="? I get a bit confused since, from what I understand, we want to find the vertical distance from the x-axis and that would be the y output of a function. (x makes me think of the input)

Sure. You can call your variables whatever you want, as long as you don't confuse yourself or the teacher.
Now, the (ω * t) part is what confuses me. Those values will determine where in the curve we want to find the displacement, correct? If so, how do the ω and time represent which part in the curve we are looking for, like the angles we input in our calculators do?

I don't understand what you mean by "where in the curve we want to find the displacement". The equation tells you the position of the oscillator for any given moment of time. So if I had an oscillator and I wanted to know where it's going to be at 10 seconds, I would calculate x0*cos(ω*10 s), and that would give me the answer.

Yes, what you mentioned is what I meant. Now, what role does ω have? Why do we have to multiply it by time to get the position in the cos curve, as we usually do by inputting angles in degrees or radians?

FAQ: SHM - Equation for Displacement

1. What is the equation for displacement in simple harmonic motion?

The equation for displacement in simple harmonic motion is given by x = A * sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

2. How is the displacement related to the amplitude in SHM?

The displacement in simple harmonic motion is directly proportional to the amplitude. This means that as the amplitude increases, the displacement also increases. Similarly, if the amplitude decreases, the displacement will also decrease.

3. Can you explain the significance of the phase angle in the displacement equation?

The phase angle in the displacement equation represents the initial phase of the oscillation. It determines the starting point of the motion and can affect the position, velocity, and acceleration of the oscillating object at any given time.

4. How is the displacement equation derived in SHM?

The displacement equation in simple harmonic motion is derived from the sine function, which describes the motion of a point on a circle. It is also derived from the equation for Hooke's Law, which relates the force exerted by a spring to its displacement.

5. Can the displacement equation be used for any type of oscillatory motion?

The displacement equation for simple harmonic motion can only be used for oscillatory motion that follows a sinusoidal pattern. This includes motion of objects attached to a spring, pendulum motion, and some types of wave motion. It cannot be used for other types of oscillations, such as damped or forced oscillations.

Back