Solving for Amplitude of a Brick on a Piston with SHM: Help Needed!

In summary, the conversation is about determining the amplitude at which a brick will separate from a piston that is moving vertically with simple harmonic motion. The equation for acceleration is discussed, with the understanding that the brick will separate when the acceleration is greater than that of gravity. The person also mentions using the equation for y(t) and asks for help with the question.
Mayerzee
I have no idea why I can not get this question, but here it is:

A brick is resting atop a piston that is moving vertically with simple harmonic motion of period 1.19 s. At what amplitude will the brick separate from the piston?

I know that once the acceleration is greater than that of gravity the 2 will seperate.

I tried using the equation:
a(t)=-w^2Acos(wt+phi) a=-9.8 w=2pi/T phi=pi and t=T

Where am I wrong on this question?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track. What's the equation for y(t)?

Hi Peter,

It seems like you have the right idea with using the equation a(t)=-w^2Acos(wt+phi) to solve for the amplitude of the brick on the piston. However, there are a few things that may be causing your difficulty in getting the correct answer.

First, when using the equation a(t)=-w^2Acos(wt+phi), it is important to remember that the amplitude (A) represents the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position. In this case, the equilibrium position is when the brick is resting on the piston. So, when solving for the amplitude, you need to consider the maximum displacement of the brick from the piston, not just the maximum acceleration.

Secondly, it seems like you may have mixed up the values for the period (T) and the angular frequency (w). The angular frequency (w) is equal to 2pi/T, so if the period is 1.19 seconds, the angular frequency should be approximately 5.29 rad/s.

Lastly, when using the equation a(t)=-w^2Acos(wt+phi), the phase angle (phi) should be in radians, not degrees. So, if you are using a value of pi for the phase angle, make sure it is in radians and not degrees.

With these adjustments, you should be able to solve for the amplitude of the brick on the piston. I hope this helps! Good luck with your problem.

1. How do you determine the amplitude of a brick on a piston with simple harmonic motion (SHM)?

The amplitude of a brick on a piston with SHM can be determined by measuring the maximum displacement of the brick from its equilibrium position. This can be done by measuring the distance between the highest point and the lowest point of the brick's motion.

2. What is the equation for calculating the amplitude of SHM?

The equation for calculating the amplitude of SHM is A = xmax - xeq, where A is the amplitude, xmax is the maximum displacement from equilibrium, and xeq is the equilibrium position.

3. Can the amplitude of SHM change over time?

No, the amplitude of SHM remains constant as long as the system is in ideal conditions and there are no external forces acting on it.

4. How does the amplitude affect the frequency of SHM?

The amplitude and frequency of SHM are inversely proportional. This means that as the amplitude increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa.

5. How can the amplitude of SHM be increased or decreased?

The amplitude of SHM can be increased or decreased by changing the initial conditions of the system, such as the initial displacement or velocity of the brick on the piston. It can also be changed by adjusting the physical properties of the system, such as the mass or spring constant.