Short leave of absence with the NSF GRFP?

• Other
  • Thread starter Dishsoap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Short
In summary: I'm not sure what to do. I talked to my advisor who said that I could either leave the program or just stop paying my tuition (since the NSF is covering a large chunk of it), but I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do. I also talked to a person at my university who said that I might be able to change my tenure status to medical deferral, but that would mean that I would have to leave the program. I'm not sure if I want to do that because I'm not sure if I'll be able to come back and I don't want to lose the rest of my tenure.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Dishsoap
Hey fellas!

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience taking a short (~1-2 month) leave of absence while being funded by the NSF GRFP.

The longer version is that I'm eligible for a medical deferral, as I'm taking care of my mom while she is in home hospice, 800 miles away from my (experimental) PhD program. However, I'm also in the middle of my tenure (my last funded year will end May 2020). My advisor has informally let me take time off (when her life expectancy was days-weeks), but at this point I've been gone for a month and the poor guy is still paying the portion of my stipend/tuition that the GRFP isn't covering, and my mom is still alive but needs my help. In order to take a leave of absence from the program (so my advisor can stop paying me), I need to change my GRFP status.

My university has a particular person appointed to handle the GRFP students, however they're being pretty unhelpful, telling me that I cannot change my tenure status in the middle of the year.

After talking to an administrative person at my university, it seems like one option is to leave the program (which is apparently different from a leave of absence?), which will then cancel the remainder of my GRFP. However, I have two non-NSF nine-month fellowships which I will forfeit by doing so.

I can guarantee I'm not the first person to be in these circumstances, so I thought I'd reach out to see if anyone knows of a solution. Unfortunately, when I left I didn't know that I wouldn't be returning (her cancer spread incredibly quickly), and so I wasn't able to sort these things out in person.

Physics news on Phys.org
The unfortunate answer is "medical deferral" is your only option for staying in the program. NSF is part of the federal government, and the government sure loves its rules - it is more important to be "fair" than just about anything else.

Worse, your advisor is taking a bit of a risk in continuing to support you if he is doing so on research funds. The federal government is paying him to hire a student and if the student is doing research, that's not good. If it's weeks, nobody cares. If it's months, his PM will see this in his progress report.

Some universities keep a pot of money on hand to deal with these issues. It would usually involve going up the chain: department head, dean, provost or VPR.

I understand that medical deferral is the only real option, but by the time I am able to change my tenure status to medical deferral, I will have been back at work for months. Frankly, I'm shocked that there's no way to change my tenure status in the middle of a "tenure year". I would expect that I would forfeit the rest of my tenure, but not that I would be literally unable to change it.

I didn't know if it would be worth going up the chain, but I will pursue that, first by contacting the DGS. Thank you!

Edit: Your point about my advisor being at risk is a great one. He doesn't seem to be concerned about letting me have time off "for free", but I suspect that he should be, which is why I'm exploring these options.

I don't know much about grants and stuff and how they work since I've never applied for one myself, but is it possible for you to work on some software stuff while you're away and attend your weekly group meeting via zoom or something? I would expect your research to require some data processing which you probably can do remotely. If you need someone to take data in your lab, maybe you can ask other students in your group to help you out?

Phys12 said:
I don't know much about grants and stuff and how they work since I've never applied for one myself, but is it possible for you to work on some software stuff while you're away and attend your weekly group meeting via zoom or something? I would expect your research to require some data processing which you probably can do remotely. If you need someone to take data in your lab, maybe you can ask other students in your group to help you out?

Unfortunately, being a hospice caretaker doesn't lend itself well to accomplishing much else. My available free time, ability to focus, and amount of sleep are all in short supply. Also, I would never dream of asking my labmates to take data for me, and the data processing I have to do is minimal.

Hi! I just found this thread and I'm in a very similar situation. I have an NSF GRFP, need to take a 2ish month medical deferral, and my department person who is supposed to be helping with this has no clue what they're doing. By the time we get everything worked out I feel like I'll already be back at work. My university thinks there's a chance I could keep receiving my GRFP stipend during those 2 months but really no one seems to know anything concrete. Seeing that this thread was posted in 2019, I was wondering if maybe you had an update that could help my situation? Thank you so much for any help you can give!

Unfortunately the original poster hasn't been on the forum in almost 2 years, so you're probably not going to get an answer from them. If you dm them they might get an email notification that prompts them to check the website.

1. What is the NSF GRFP?

The NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) is a prestigious award that provides funding for graduate students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields. It supports individuals who have demonstrated potential for significant achievements in their chosen fields.

2. How long is a short leave of absence with the NSF GRFP?

A short leave of absence with the NSF GRFP typically lasts for one semester or quarter, depending on the academic calendar of your institution. It can also be extended for up to one year in certain circumstances.

3. Who is eligible for a short leave of absence with the NSF GRFP?

Graduate students who have been awarded the NSF GRFP and are in good standing with their institution are eligible for a short leave of absence. This includes students who have completed at least one year of graduate study and have not exceeded the five-year fellowship period.

4. What is the purpose of a short leave of absence with the NSF GRFP?

A short leave of absence allows NSF GRFP recipients to take a break from their graduate studies to pursue other professional or personal opportunities, such as internships, research experiences, or personal development activities. It is intended to enhance the recipient's graduate education and future career prospects.

5. How do I request a short leave of absence with the NSF GRFP?

To request a short leave of absence, you must submit a written request to the NSF GRFP program office, along with a detailed description of your proposed activities during the leave. The request must be approved by your graduate advisor and your institution's GRFP coordinator. It is recommended to submit the request at least three months before the proposed leave start date.