1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Short Question

1. Nov 7, 2005 #1
    Hi people.
    I have a short question from a homework. given a family with 3 children, the sexes of which are unknown: if the eldest child is a boy and there is at least one other boy, then what is the probability one child is a girl?
    To me it seems obvious that there are at least two boys from this info, then either there are 3 boys or 2 boys and 1 girl, so the probability one child is a girl is 0.5. Is this method correct?
    Thanks,
    JB

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A family with three children and the eldest is a boy. Writing B for boy, G for girl, from oldest to youngest, the possibilities are:
    BBB
    BBG
    BGB
    BGG
    Assuming "boy" or "girl" are equally likely at each birth, these are equally likely.

But we are told that at least one child is a boy: that throws out BGG leaving
    BBB
    BBG
    BGB and they are still equally likely.
    Since 2 of those 3 correspond to "one child is a girl", the probability that one of the children is a girl is 2/3, not 1/2. Yes, it is true that there must be "either 3 boys or 2 boys and a girl", but those are NOT "equally likely".

4. Nov 19, 2005 #3
    As far as I'm concerned you should better explain the underlying reason: probability of each sex child birth is fifty-fifty. In a formal proof is often request.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?