lockedup Messages 67 Reaction score 0 Thread starter Mar 9, 2010 #1 Homework Statement Find the shortest distance from [tex]x^{2}-y^{2}=1[/tex] and the origin. I was gone when my professor taught on this. I just want some hints to get started... Homework Equations The Attempt at a SolutionI graphed it and it's pretty easy to see that the answer is one. I just don't know how to prove it...
Homework Statement Find the shortest distance from [tex]x^{2}-y^{2}=1[/tex] and the origin. I was gone when my professor taught on this. I just want some hints to get started... Homework Equations The Attempt at a SolutionI graphed it and it's pretty easy to see that the answer is one. I just don't know how to prove it...
ideasrule Homework Helper Messages 2,286 Reaction score 0 Mar 9, 2010 #2 The square of distance is x^2+y^2, so you have to minimize that. Can you express x^2+y^2 in terms of only one variable?
The square of distance is x^2+y^2, so you have to minimize that. Can you express x^2+y^2 in terms of only one variable?