1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shoud I Take my Counselor's Advice for my Major?

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    Hey everyone!

The main reason that I want to major in Business Economics is because I've always liked to work with numbers, graphs and charts. I just had a talk with my counselors, and both of them reccomended that I should take College Algebra and Business Calculus if I want to get into a CSU with a Business Administration program. The thing is that I thought I was going to have to take Precalculus, Calculus 1 and Calculus 2 while I'm here in community college, which I've been waiting for such a long time to take. My counselor even reccomended that I wait until a transfer into a four-year university to simply take a course in Statistics. Should I settle with taking Business Calculus instead of Caluculus 1 and 2 if my counselors reccomended that I take it? If so, what should I do to prevent my knowledge from Trigonometry and Precalculus for getting rusty?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2012 #2

Dembadon

Gold Member

There will be no shortage of College Algebra (Precalc) and Trigonometry in your Calculus courses, so I wouldn't worry about your skills in those subjects getting rusty. :biggrin:

I cannot comment on "business calculus" since I haven't taken a business oriented mathematics course, and I'm not entirely sure what is required of an economics major from a mathematics standpoint. Most business majors I've spoken with (and helped in the tutoring center) only need certain methods in calculus to solve common problems within the field. Hopefully someone more qualified can address your concerns in these areas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook