Shoud I Take my Counselor's Advice for my Major?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Bogrune
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the speaker is interested in majoring in Business Economics due to their interest in working with numbers, graphs, and charts. Their counselors recommended taking College Algebra and Business Calculus to get into a CSU with a Business Administration program. The speaker is unsure if they should settle for Business Calculus or take Calculus 1 and 2, and they are concerned about their knowledge in Trigonometry and Precalculus getting rusty. However, it is likely that these topics will be covered in their Calculus courses and they may need only certain methods of calculus for their major. They are seeking advice from someone more knowledgeable in this area.
Bogrune
Hey everyone!

The main reason that I want to major in Business Economics is because I've always liked to work with numbers, graphs and charts. I just had a talk with my counselors, and both of them reccomended that I should take College Algebra and Business Calculus if I want to get into a CSU with a Business Administration program. The thing is that I thought I was going to have to take Precalculus, Calculus 1 and Calculus 2 while I'm here in community college, which I've been waiting for such a long time to take. My counselor even reccomended that I wait until a transfer into a four-year university to simply take a course in Statistics. Should I settle with taking Business Calculus instead of Caluculus 1 and 2 if my counselors reccomended that I take it? If so, what should I do to prevent my knowledge from Trigonometry and Precalculus for getting rusty?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bogrune said:
... If so, what should I do to prevent my knowledge from Trigonometry and Precalculus for getting rusty?

There will be no shortage of College Algebra (Precalc) and Trigonometry in your Calculus courses, so I wouldn't worry about your skills in those subjects getting rusty. :biggrin:

I cannot comment on "business calculus" since I haven't taken a business oriented mathematics course, and I'm not entirely sure what is required of an economics major from a mathematics standpoint. Most business majors I've spoken with (and helped in the tutoring center) only need certain methods in calculus to solve common problems within the field. Hopefully someone more qualified can address your concerns in these areas.

1. What qualifications do counselors have to provide advice for my major?

Counselors typically have a degree in counseling or a related field, and may also have specific training or experience in career counseling. They often receive ongoing professional development to stay up to date on the latest information and resources related to college majors and career paths.

2. Can counselors accurately predict which major is best for me?

Counselors use a variety of tools and techniques, such as personality assessments and career exploration exercises, to help you identify potential majors that align with your interests, skills, and values. However, ultimately the decision of which major to pursue is up to you.

3. Should I only listen to my counselor's advice for my major?

Your counselor's advice is just one perspective to consider when making decisions about your major. It's important to also gather information from other sources, such as professors, classmates, and professionals in your desired field, to get a well-rounded understanding of your options.

4. What if my counselor suggests a major that I am not interested in?

It's important to have open and honest communication with your counselor and express any concerns or doubts you may have about their suggestions. They can provide you with additional information and resources to help you explore other options that may better align with your goals and interests.

5. Will following my counselor's advice guarantee success in my chosen major?

While your counselor's advice can be helpful in guiding your decision-making process, it is ultimately up to you to put in the effort and dedication required to be successful in your chosen major. Your counselor can provide you with support and resources, but your own hard work and determination are key to achieving success.